AC puzzler

Started by enjenjo, May 16, 2013, 08:00:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

Two years ago, while on my way to Las Vegas, the AC compressor tied up, burning up the clutch.  I disconnected the clutch wire, installed a new clutch as an emergency fix, and came back home without air.

Last spring, I bought a rebuild kit for the AC which included a new compressor, with clutch, new hoses, a receiver dryer, and a new orifice tube.
The system was flushed and charged, it worked fine all summer long. When we took the old compressor off, the pressure plate for the compressor clutch had come off and was laying in the splash guard loose.

I tried the air today, and it did not work. When I was checking things, I found the compressor clutch pressure plate was missing.

This was a new compressor with another new clutch, factory assembled, and it did the same thing as the last one. Anyone with any idea why?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

tomslik

what's it on?
my guess is maybe you've got a hi side issue ( condenser plugged or a hi side switch bad, something along those lines)
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

enjenjo

2001 Ford  Escape

wayne petty

i looked over at motorcraft.com...  that took me to the ford parts site...

in the HVAC section...  i found a few basic part numbers..

HVAC > A/C Clutch and Compressor
19D594
A/C Pressure Cut Off Switch - Air Conditioning Pressure Cut-Off, 4 Blade Terminal, Black $47.66   
this seems to be near the bolt together fitting near the condenser...

and on top of the accumulator..
in section A/C Accumulator / Receiver Drier

19E561
motorcraft (YH-592)
Accumulator Switch All Left Hand Drive Territories $20.52   

if you have not visited the ford parts site.. thumbnails show up.. click the lower right corner and they pop open.. then turn down the various - signs to become + and more parts links open ...

wiring diagram direct....

http://repairguide.autozone.com/znetrgs/repair_guide_content/en_us/images/0996b43f/80/23/e3/1e/large/0996b43f8023e31e.gif

or the 4 diagrams...

http://www.autozone.com:80/autozone/repairinfo/repairguide/repairGuideContent.jsp?pageId=0996b43f802e6f04

enjenjo

A little investigating shows that this is a problem on several Ford models, over several years. The cover in question is splined the the compressor shaft, and held in place by an 8mm capscrew. It is enough of a problem that Ford offers the pressure plate separate from the clutch assembly for replacement.