4 link re bush and alignment help

Started by BFS57, May 12, 2013, 01:12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BFS57

Hello;
Well, found out that all 8 of the bushings in the 4 link in the rear of my 32' have disintegrated! Been going round and round trying to get all the proper bushings and sleeves to do the job. Ended up with Pete and Jakes stuff as I couldn't identify just where this 4 link came from (PO).
Now I am having trouble getting everything to lign up! At least I know I'm in over my head! Is there a way to do this and have the rear axle be in alignment or is this a bolt by bolt fight??
Have the car suspended on the frame only on one side right now (drivers). Have the upper link installed but the lower link, I can't seem to get short enough to lign up with the holes on the axle bracket.
Should I take all 4 off?, re-bush everything and start the war? or one at a time? or car on the ground? car in the air? Suspended on both sides?What?
Helpful suggestions are welcomed !!!

Bruce

wayne petty

support whole back of car.... so its level...

or WHOLE car so its up in the air and level...

keep floor jack for lifting rear end up to ride height..

you will never get things to line up when the rear suspension is in a twist...

i am taking you might have coil over shocks or springs on the top of the housing..

you will usually want to remove these to bring the rear end up to normal ride height to remove and install suspension components..

do not torque the bushing thru bolts unless the suspension is at ride height ...

this allows the bushings to live at ZERO twist...

if you have tightened them with the suspension hanging... when you bring the car to ride height.. you will put twist into the rubber... when you bottom out the suspension. you will go beyond the range of motion up and down designed into the bushing.. and it MAY have a short life..

others will clarify this i hope..

and a HINT.. TIP...  that the guy who ran hollywood spring and axle gave me decades ago.. when the spring bushing bolt or suspension bolt is frozen in place.. put the nut back on it..  make it tight... then use an impact to loosen the bolt... what.. yep.. the nut holding tight keeps the inner sleeve from spinning while you break the bolt loose... once in a great while.. sawzall is needed to cut along side to cut bolts out to remove..  but this tip does work..

BFS57

Thanks, Wayne, at least now I have a starting point to get everything ligned up and hopefully re mounted.
I had torked a couple of the bolts already but I can loosten them until I have it back on the ground (someplace I read 60 lbs torque was sufficient.

Bruce