Finally back in the shop

Started by Leon, August 25, 2004, 10:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

I've been going crazy sitting around recouping from the knee thing, but am able to start spending some time in the shop getting important stuff done.  After getting a set of English Wheel anvils last Nov.  (dropping one box and breaking my foot eventually lead to blowing out the knee - hence the knee surgery), I decided it was time to conquer the item that caused the problem in the first place.  I still need a little steel to make the mount for the upper wheel but that's pretty much it.  Should have it ready for a little paint this weekend.

enjenjo

Looks good. Maybe after I retire, I can get mine put together, I cut all the steel over a year ago.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Dirk35

Leon, do you have locks on the casters that it rolls onthe ground with? Id tend to think that it would be kinda necessary.

Also, metal shaping is something that fascinates me, and ever since I saw the first Jessie James show, It has really got me lurking metal shape sites and interested in it. So, after you make some peices, can you tell us what you learned as far as workign the metal, and possibly post picts.

Oh yeah, one more, Do all C-4 Trannies, even the old ones, require that spacer plate between the block and the bell-housing?

Leon

I can imagine it will take a long time to learn how to use it properly, I've been welding more years than I care to admit and I'm still trying to get it right :lol:
I have locks on the casters, the two under the wheel don't swivel so they won't move around.  I also have threaded coupling nuts welded on each of the four corners so I can use threaded rod to act like jacking screws to stabilize the unit.  The 4 x 6 tubing on the main frame is all filled with sand, about 125 pounds, so it really dampens any movement that the frame would have made without it.  My 1000 pound hoist sounds like it is getting near the overload point when I pick it up.  It feels real solid.

As far as the tranny, there is enough play where the converter engages the pump that leaving that plate out won't hurt it, but I don't suggest that you do.  That plate helps to locate the starter, and without it the lower cover won't properly attach to the lower section of the housing.  Without it the flexplate is exposed, and that can lead to other problems down the road.  The plate is cheap and easy to find in junkyards.  There is no benefit to running without one.