Question for the "Machinist's " ....

Started by UGLY OLDS, March 24, 2013, 12:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UGLY OLDS

I have what is a somewhat strange question ....

I am installing "Air Lift" bags in the back of the Ugly Olds...  I was able to get a bag setup that is very close to the dimensions I need ... I will need to make a spacer or block to fit above & below the bag inside the spring ..  
These spacers will be 4.5" O.D. &  2.0" thick .. I have some blocks of what I think is "Derlin" .. A white plastic / nylon  material that is 2" thick & has a glued on "burlap" type of backing ... I picked up the blocks at a garage sale a long time ago & the seller was closing out the remains of his machine shop....  

My Questions :
A....  Will this material "live" in the environment I described above ????

B.. Do I have to do anything special to turn the material in a lathe ???

Thanks for the help ....

Bob .... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

If it is delrin, I can answer the 2nd question. No, just a sharp bit. I make frame sliders for sport bikes from that and never have difficulties machining it. I have no exp. with it's load capacities. I just googled that and went to the Dupont pdf data sheet. There's more than 1 delrin. The spec page might answer your questions.
TEAM SMART

Arnold

Don't quote me on your app. Me..I would use it.
I have used Delrin,hockey pucks,rubber mallet heads,sections of Wally World kitchen cutting boards,2X4's,marine grade 1" thick ply laminated together..and a whole host of other stuff for projects with success.

348tripower

I have a bit if a background in plastics :)  I would use it.
Don Colliau

Arnold

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"I have what is a somewhat strange question ....

I am installing "Air Lift" bags in the back of the Ugly Olds...  I was able to get a bag setup that is very close to the dimensions I need ... I will need to make a spacer or block to fit above & below the bag inside the spring ..  
These spacers will be 4.5" O.D. &  2.0" thick .. I have some blocks of what I think is "Derlin" .. A white plastic / nylon  material that is 2" thick & has a glued on "burlap" type of backing ... I picked up the blocks at a garage sale a long time ago & the seller was closing out the remains of his machine shop....  

My Questions :

Thanks for the help ....

After a couple brew..it can be pronounced "Darlin'" :lol:

enjenjo

Quote from: "kb426"If it is delrin, I can answer the 2nd question. No, just a sharp bit. I make frame sliders for sport bikes from that and never have difficulties machining it. I have no exp. with it's load capacities. I just googled that and went to the Dupont pdf data sheet. There's more than 1 delrin. The spec page might answer your questions.

Keep the spindle speed down a bit. If you spin it too fast it melts and tears giving a rough surface.

I think it's plenty strong enough for what you want to do.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

UGLY OLDS

QuoteKeep the spindle speed down a bit. If you spin it too fast it melts and tears giving a rough surface.

10-4  on the speed ... found that out on the band saw ... :oops:

I have 2 of them completed ... Will make two more tomorrow evening ..

Boy is this stuff messy ... I think I used the shop vac more than the lathe ... :lol:

I sure hope this Air Lift install resolves the problem..  A suitcase & a case of "Adult beverage " in the trunk & the thing bottoms out on bumps or interstate " swoopies" .... I guess the springs saged more than I expected .... :oops:

Thanks For the help guys .....  :D

Bob ..... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Ernie Callen

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"I have what is a somewhat strange question ....

My Questions :

Thanks for the help ....
I have seen Delrin bushings wear out steel shafts. It is tough go for it.
Ernie