Waterless coolant

Started by Learpilot, February 12, 2013, 09:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Learpilot

Has anyone used waterless coolant ?
It almost sound too good to be true about not boiling until 300, and being non corrosive. It does sell for $ 40.00 a gallon.
Thanks, rick

Crosley.In.AZ

Never used it.  Dont know any one that has stepped up to pay the price for it
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Charlie Chops 1940

I did a little research and mostly found info on Evans waterless coolant. It's $32.99 per 1/2 gallon on Amazon.com. Lots of discussion on various boards swearing on it and at it. Appears the product is a mix of ethelene glycol and propolene glycol (if I remember correctly) so there is not magic ingredient.

At $150 to $250 per fill up 50/50 water/antifreeze doesn't sound so bad, but I would want to look deeper than I just did.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

UGLY OLDS

Gee .. I'm still trying to get used to buying "Pre-Mixed"  anti-freeze... I can still get water at a VERY reasonable price... :idea:

A lot of the Ford Diesels we service at different shops across the country use distilled water in the cooling system per Ford reccomendation ... Ever pay $6.00 ++ for a gallon of distilled water  :shock:  :?:

Bob....... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Charlie Chops 1940

I buy distilled water for $0.86/gallon at the local mega-store. Do Ford truck owners really pay $6/gallon? That's insane.Even worse than the premix which I can't even begin to understand why....

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

moose

I am sure the "Pre-Mix" is marketed to the Brain Dead that cannot figure out how to mix 50 - 50... And all the other things the youth of today don't get taught!

moose

Arnold

Quote from: "moose"I am sure the "Pre-Mix" is marketed to the Brain Dead that cannot figure out how to mix 50 - 50... And all the other things the youth of today don't get taught!

moose

The last several times I have bought anti-freeze..at several different places..they did not have any that was NOT pre-mixed :shock:
  I had to ask.. :roll: then at each place they made a big deal..usually involving 2 people..and using their phones,walkie talkies to go and find some.
  I make a point now..WHENEVER I am in those places to look and see
if there is even any out. IF there is any out..it is very inconspicuous and has a very small space for it.
 I think there are 2  brands..now..that I know of.. that make a big deal on the jugs by saying that THEIRS is made with distilled water.
 I very much doubt whether any gas stations here have other than pre-mix.

I just see it as a sign of the times..and accept that fact that I am getting old :cry: .

oj

Unless that waterless stuff has changed since i looked into it you need a soecial waterpump and a few other things to deal with it.  CupCars use it because it don't develop pressure like water does.

phat rat

I use premix all the time it's great to have. But my premix is homemade :)
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Learpilot

Thanks for all the info !!  I think I will stick with my homemade 50/50.
Rick

Arnold

Quote from: "phat rat"I use premix all the time it's great to have. But my premix is homemade :)

One time I didn't have anything to mix it in..SOoo..all I had was this old gas can :!: . I just used that.

Ya..you are right :!:

I poured it into my new lawnmower that was not empty :!: ..it ran then quit :shock:
  After trying pretty much FOREVER to get it going.. :oops:
 Out came the "gas",oil. In went the Seafoam..new oil,gas.

:lol: Shouldda bought pre-mixed :roll:

phat rat

Quote from: "Arnold"
Quote from: "phat rat"I use premix all the time it's great to have. But my premix is homemade :)

One time I didn't have anything to mix it in..SOoo..all I had was this old gas can :!: . I just used that.

Ya..you are right :!:

I poured it into my new lawnmower that was not empty :!: ..it ran then quit :shock:
  After trying pretty much FOREVER to get it going.. :oops:
 Out came the "gas",oil. In went the Seafoam..new oil,gas.

:lol: Shouldda bought pre-mixed :roll:

I always keep a couple of extra anti-freeze containers and when they are mixed i mark 50/50 on the side
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

348tripower

It has always amazed me that people will pay more for premixed :lol:
Don Colliau

kb426

reading this reminds me that some us us are old guys.  :lol:  :lol:
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "kb426"reading this reminds me that some of us are old guys.  :lol:  :lol:

So .... I take it  you forgot some are old guys.....  :shock:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)