Bonneville Marlin????

Started by fast401, January 11, 2013, 01:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fast401

I belong to another forum (www.TheAMCForum.com) and there is a member who has contracted Salt Fever.  He wants to build a Marlin with the GenI 287 or 327.  His goal is to get 800/1000 plus horsepower using turbo/turbos.  Has anyone had any experience with this engine or know of someone who has?  I am not an engine person so be gentle on me.
Disturbing the peace since 1970!!!!!

Beck

Quote from: "fast401"I belong to another forum (www.TheAMCForum.com) and there is a member who has contracted Salt Fever.  He wants to build a Marlin with the GenI 287 or 327.  His goal is to get 800/1000 plus horsepower using turbo/turbos.  Has anyone had any experience with this engine or know of someone who has?  I am not an engine person so be gentle on me.

The 287 and 327 are the same family of motors. Heads and intakes interchange.
The engines fall into 2 different engine classes at Bonneville.
C     306 thru 372 cubic inches
D     261 thru 305 cubic inches
He would first have to decide what engne class he wants to run in.
If his desire is to go out to see the best he can do, go for it. If he wants to set a class record I think he should look elsewhere. Being competitive in a class would be difficult with these engines. He would be competing against the Chevy and Ford small blocks. The competition has access to a lot of quality performance parts that the early AMC just doesn't have. Aftermarket heads being the big thing.

1800guy

My personal opinion says go with the car you best know and/or love, even if it may not be the most logical or the most competitive.  Build it the best you can - set a personal benchmark and then work at moving it up.  If you decide later that you really want to be competitive with a more current engine you can always change up.  I think it would be pretty hard to move the other direction
My project is 90% finished, with only 90% to go.

unklian

Quote from: "Beck"
If he wants to set a class record I think he should look elsewhere.
Being competitive in a class would be difficult with these engines.

Also expensive.

Crosley.In.AZ

Seems like an AMC Marlin would not be friendly design for cutting thru the air
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"Seems like an AMC Marlin would not be friendly design for cutting thru the air

i was kinda thinking the same thing but for different reasons...
i'll bet the tail end gets "light" at speed...if you can't run a spoiler of some kind...
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Charlie Chops 1940

Quote from: "Crosley"Seems like an AMC Marlin would not be friendly design for cutting thru the air

It would probably cut a much more aerodynamic swath were it mounted front to rear on the chassis. Rule book check, aisle 1,  please....

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

enjenjo

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"

It would probably cut a much more aerodynamic swath were it mounted front to rear on the chassis. Rule book check, aisle 1,  please....

Charlie

Against the rules, I checked. :roll:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat rat

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"

Charlie

Against the rules, I checked. :roll:

And who better to check? :wink:
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Charlie Chops 1940

Frank, I thought about calling you first....

javascript:emoticon(':lol:')javascript:emoticon(':lol:')javascript:emoticon(':lol:')
Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!