Goodguys which one?

Started by bucketmouth, December 14, 2012, 08:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bucketmouth

I'm planning another trip to the US and was looking at the Goodguys calender and they have  Puyallup on in July  and Spokane in August.
Which is the bigger event and which one do you think may be better?
I'm including The NSRA Nats in Louisville and Speedweek at Bonneville.
That's four weekends of events but I can only do three of those. What do you think?
I maybe from down under but I know which way is up.
Oh hell there goes another head rush.

Charlie Chops 1940

Puyallup is in the largest population area in Washington State including Seattle and Tacoma among other area. Spokane is around 200,000 population vs. around a million to draw from in the puget sound area.

I lived north of Seattle one summer. It's wet a lot but beautiful country nonetheless. Spokane is a generally dryer but no less beautiful are ion the southeastern part of the state.

I haven't been to either show so I can't say for sure but my guess would be that Spokane is smaller, which my estimation might make it a more enjoyable show.

See ya at Speed Week.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Uncle Bob

Along the lines of Charlie's comment, it depends on what you want.  Considering the total overload of Louisville a smaller gathering might make for good contrast.  Both shows will have some good hardware to look at, and given they're both in the same region there will be a bit of overlap in those that attend................but they're also 300 some miles apart and separated by nearly a month so the bulk of what shows up will be different.

As for weather, Spokane will be hotter in August than Puyallup in July, but likely both will be sunny.  The Seattle area is completely jammed with outdoor events from about July 4 through the end of September because that's when moisture from the sky, or heavy overcast is least likely.  NHRA runs their big event usually a week or two near the GG event, so if that's of interest you might could arrange your schedule to include both.  Plus there will be tons of local car events around the Puget Sound if the GG deal wasn't enough.  Puyallup will usually draw 2000-2500 cars, Spokane maybe half that.  If you're traveling the country by air, your options for carriers, rates, and frequency will be enormously higher at Sea-Tac airport than Spokane.  If you're driving, the highway options getting to Spokane are more interesting.
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

Harry

I would forget Louisville and concentrate on the west coast.
You can make a quick trip down to California from here.

32 Chevy

I second the vote for Puyallup. Our local club was the host club for Puyallup GG this year and have again been invited to host the 2013 Puyallup show. There were over 2500 cars there plus Friday night drags too. And there are many local sights to see in a 50 mile radius of the fairgrounds too. Fishing, mountains, hiking, nice scenic drives etc.

And just for a plug our club is having our annual show the weekend after the GG show. Good local flavor in the town of Gig Harbor and about 300 cars at our little show.

sirstude

Been going to Spokane since NSRA days, and it is a fun time, but I like the Puyallup run better.  Just a bit more polished, twice the cars, and I really like the grounds, and the drive from Montana.  Spokane is much more laid back, and pretty much ends at 5:00 each day.  If you like the cruising around the grounds, Puyallup is the only choice.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

bucketmouth

Thanks guys for the info I'll take it all into account when we finalize the dates.
It could come down to if the GGs is gonna be at the start or the end of the trip.
Louisville will stay in the trip as my brother has never been before and it will blow him away just to see the sheer size of it.
And Charlie i'll come looking for you and the 974 on the salt when I get there. Hooley will be racing won't he?

Charlie Chops 1940

Quote from: "bucketmouth"And Charlie i'll come looking for you and the 974 on the salt when I get there. Hooley will be racing won't he?

That was the plan still when I last saw him at the Ohio Mile in September. I believe I will be going in any event.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

dirt t 2010

Quote from: "bucketmouth"Thanks guys for the info I'll take it all into account when we finalize the dates.
It could come down to if the GGs is gonna be at the start or the end of the trip.
Louisville will stay in the trip as my brother has never been before and it will blow him away just to see the sheer size of it.
And Charlie i'll come looking for you and the 974 on the salt when I get there. Hooley will be racing won't he?
Of all your plans do not miss Bonneville. Look for 1428 streamliner / roadster. Stop by and say Hi.
Terry
I spent most of my money on whisky,women and hotrods. The rest I just wasted!

bucketmouth

Bonneville is definitely in the trip like all the other times I've been there. It surely is a special place and a must do in the world of rodding.I'll look out for the 1428 Terry. Have you got a photo of it you can post on here.

charlie

dirt t 2010

Quote from: "bucketmouth"Bonneville is definitely in the trip like all the other times I've been there. It surely is a special place and a must do in the world of rodding.I'll look out for the 1428 Terry. Have you got a photo of it you can post on here.

charlie
Charlie I'll dig some up and post them latter today or tomorrow.
I'll even post a picture of my TAFC.
Terry

dirt t 2010

Quote from: "dirt t 2010"
Quote from: "bucketmouth"Bonneville is definitely in the trip like all the other times I've been there. It surely is a special place and a must do in the world of rodding.I'll look out for the 1428 Terry. Have you got a photo of it you can post on here.

charlie
Charlie I'll dig some up and post them latter today or tomorrow.
I'll even post a picture of my TAFC.
Terry
[/img]

bucketmouth

Oh very nice Terry and drag racing too. I'm taking my grandson to the drags tomorrow it will be his 4th meet. He's absolutely hooked on it now which makes it a cool grandad /grandson day out 8)
Cheers

Topsterguy

No doubt about it, Pyuallup is the better show.  I've been going to Pyuallup since it started in the early 80's and it's always been good, and now it's expanded a lot so it's even bigger.  We've gone to Spokane 4 times and it's dwindling fast. It was never really big but it's lost a lot and we've heard the last couple of years they're  thinking about dropping it. Now there's a new NSRA one starting this year on the last weekend in June so that might cinch it.
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

bucketmouth

Ok guys I need your help,I coming for two weeks and I'm doing the GGs Pullyup one weekend and the following weekend the Louisville Nats.
What I need to know is which airport do I fly to in Washington from L.A. so I can book a flight to get there.

cheers