Crosley or Wayne to the red phone, tranny question

Started by 34ford, October 02, 2012, 08:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

34ford

Changing the filter and fluid in my 97 ford explorer tranny. Dropped the pan and pulled the filter out (which is just friction fit with an rubber seal).  Poured the fluid out of the tranny pan and this little yellow plug with an o-ring seal was in the bottom. Can't find anywhere it would have fallen out of the bottom of the valve body.  I assume it was the plug in the dipstick hole when the tranny was shipped and the person installing the dipstick tube on the assembly line just punched into the pan instead of pulling it out and discarding it.  What do you guys think.

thanks

bc

Jokester

I'm not Wayne or Crosley, but I've seen these before.  If I remember correctly, it nests in the dipsick tube.  I don't know if it needs to be in there or not.  It may seal off the tube to keep fluid from flowing out when it's hot.

my 2ยข

.bjb
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.

34ford

Found this doing a search on a tranny forum. So all should be well..

I read your section about the transmission fluid change. I feel that you should add this to it. Its about the small tan plastic plug I found in the pan. It's about 1.5 inches long with a O-ring it and small 1/4 inch rod about 1 inch of the total height. It is used to plug the dipstick hole when building the transmission and gets pushed in the trans when the dipstick is added. I have beat my head on the wall till I found out what it was for. Most people that read your page probably had their first transmission service done by the dealer and the plug was thrown away.

wayne petty

yep... plug for the filler tube opening...

save it... man do those come in handy for things.. like storing transmissions...  even removing them.. so the opening is sealed after you remove the dip stick tube..