Mustang II Nova or S10 in the 48 truck

Started by 348tripower, August 18, 2004, 08:48:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

348tripower

How bout some suggestions here? I don't know any track widths. I think I saw that the Mustang II needs to be widened if using stock. S10 frames are pretty easy to come by. Is the width good?  Using the I beam I may not get the drop I want with out a dropped axle and reverse eye mono leaf springs. I want this really low. Don :lol:
Don Colliau

tom

i have a friend who just completed a 48 on an S10 chassis, i will see if i can get him to log on and talk about what was involved. i know it is low, he had to raise the front end a bit for clearance

348tripower

Any information he gan give me would ge great. I may have a line on a whole s10 pickup
Don

Quote from: "tom"i have a friend who just completed a 48 on an S10 chassis, i will see if i can get him to log on and talk about what was involved. i know it is low, he had to raise the front end a bit for clearance
Don Colliau

tom

i talked to my buddy and he said he would sign up as a member and get some info to you. hope he is a help

tom

hi don.........my buddy with the 48 merc pickup does seem to want to sign on the RRT. i have tried to pursuade him. he says if you go to mercurypickup.com you can contact him thru there. his is the red 48 with yellow wheels and yellow behind the grill. or if you care to send me your e-mail, i will forward it to him.

tom

Bib_Overalls

My friend Darwin (Darwin's Hot Rod Shop) removed a Nova clip from a 53 GMC pickup and replaced it with one from an S10.  The original job had been botched and the truck was scary to drive.  The S10 clip was easier to mate with the original rails and after being plated it looked really good.  Owner is very pleased.  See the photos.

In general, I don't like clips.  I think aftermarket MII crossmembers produce a better result.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

348tripower

Tom,
 My email is dcolliau@yahoo.com.
Thanks,
Don

Quote from: "tom"hi don.........my buddy with the 48 merc pickup does seem to want to sign on the RRT. i have tried to pursuade him. he says if you go to mercurypickup.com you can contact him thru there. his is the red 48 with yellow wheels and yellow behind the grill. or if you care to send me your e-mail, i will forward it to him.

tom
Don Colliau

348tripower

Thats exactly the information I am looking for. I'll print these pictures out when I get home tonight.
Thanks,
Don :lol:

Quote from: "Bib_Overalls"My friend Darwin (Darwin's Hot Rod Shop) removed a Nova clip from a 53 GMC pickup and replaced it with one from an S10.  The original job had been botched and the truck was scary to drive.  The S10 clip was easier to mate with the original rails and after being plated it looked really good.  Owner is very pleased.  See the photos.

In general, I don't like clips.  I think aftermarket MII crossmembers produce a better result.
Don Colliau

Dirk35

Don, isnt you 48 a Ford? I am not sure about the track width being the same from Ford to GMC. I really do not have any idea how close to the same they are that is. That being a GMC in the picts.

I can tell you that the frame I got with my parts truck had a front steer Early Camaro clip under it. And Im really thinking, that w/o offset wheels (mine had the stock 70s camaro rims I mean) its track width is about an inch too wide on each side. The way it was set-up whne I got it as a given-up project, they would rub on turns. But from what I understand (think, this is only hear-say and rumor), the rear steer caramo subframes are the correct width, but that they do not handle as well as a front steer suspension set-up.

I can tell you that Roothawg (he posts here about once a year) put a Volare torsion bar system under his 53-54 Ford. His truck was very beautiful, and he pretty much got what he was asking for it when he sold it.

Give Root a e-mail about his opnion. I think he would be real informative on this. Perhaps enjenjo has also done this same truck and can give information.

Me personally, after messing with making my own brackets, getting all the sheet metal to actually bolt back up and look decent on my 48 F-1, I think Ill use a aftermarket MII designed for the ford F-1. Their out there.
Oh yeah, I put a 80s Mercury Marquis frame under my 48 F-1, cause its what I had. My track width is about 1/2  to 1 inch too wide on each side for my likes. I have 15X7 rims under the front of it and their closer (looking) than I personally prefer. They dont rub, just asthetic. But, the bottom of my grille chin thingy (the peice that goes between the two fenders and under the bottom grille bar) is about 3" off ground with normal suspension.

Hope all this made sense.

348tripower

Mine is a 48 Ford. I looked at the 48 Mercury pics and it looks good setting on the S10 frame. The S10 is about 4 inches narrower than the 48,
but that is easily cured with the wheels. The original ford were very narrow.
Don :D

Quote from: "Dirk35"Don, isnt you 48 a Ford? I am not sure about the track width being the same from Ford to GMC. I really do not have any idea how close to the same they are that is. That being a GMC in the picts.

I can tell you that the frame I got with my parts truck had a front steer Early Camaro clip under it. And Im really thinking, that w/o offset wheels (mine had the stock 70s camaro rims I mean) its track width is about an inch too wide on each side. The way it was set-up whne I got it as a given-up project, they would rub on turns. But from what I understand (think, this is only hear-say and rumor), the rear steer caramo subframes are the correct width, but that they do not handle as well as a front steer suspension set-up.

I can tell you that Roothawg (he posts here about once a year) put a Volare torsion bar system under his 53-54 Ford. His truck was very beautiful, and he pretty much got what he was asking for it when he sold it.

Give Root a e-mail about his opnion. I think he would be real informative on this. Perhaps enjenjo has also done this same truck and can give information.

Me personally, after messing with making my own brackets, getting all the sheet metal to actually bolt back up and look decent on my 48 F-1, I think Ill use a aftermarket MII designed for the ford F-1. Their out there.
Oh yeah, I put a 80s Mercury Marquis frame under my 48 F-1, cause its what I had. My track width is about 1/2  to 1 inch too wide on each side for my likes. I have 15X7 rims under the front of it and their closer (looking) than I personally prefer. They dont rub, just asthetic. But, the bottom of my grille chin thingy (the peice that goes between the two fenders and under the bottom grille bar) is about 3" off ground with normal suspension.

Hope all this made sense.
Don Colliau

348tripower

Here is an update on the front end discussion. I have located a low mile  S10 front frame section in Toledo. I think I will go get it on Wednesday. It has all the parts. I really don't want to try to put a whole S10 frame under this truck and the original is in really good shape. The measurements of the frame rails are within 3/4 of an inch on the outside. This is really good for grafting it on. Besides $325.00 bucks is pretty reasonable for what I am getting. I will only have too add a couple of steering joints and some steel to plate the rails with. :lol: I will email some pictures of this beauty to my brother tonight and he will crop and post them here for all to see. I need to add another picture program to the new computer.
Don

Quote from: "Bib_Overalls"My friend Darwin (Darwin's Hot Rod Shop) removed a Nova clip from a 53 GMC pickup and replaced it with one from an S10.  The original job had been botched and the truck was scary to drive.  The S10 clip was easier to mate with the original rails and after being plated it looked really good.  Owner is very pleased.  See the photos.

Don Colliau

av8

Looks like we traditionalists have lost you to the darkside, Don. :(

Please keep me in mind when you want to unload your F-1 front brakes, upper shock mounts, and steering.

I wish you all the best, and since you asked on your first thread on this subject, I will keep you updated on what I'm doing to my F-1 with regard to suspension and steering.

Mike

58 Yeoman

Don wrote:
QuoteBesides $325.00 bucks is pretty reasonable for what I am getting.

Geez, Louise, Don.  Just a couple weeks ago I bought a 91 S-15 for $35, smoked really bad.  Sold it to my brother for $100 (long story, don't ask). He's going to flush the engine (4.3), and replace the valve stem seals, maybe a quick ring job.  I don't have room to keep all these neat deals I run across.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

348tripower

Ok gang. I finally figured out the nw picture program. Herg are a pair of pictures of the 48.
Don Colliau

phat rat

gonna be running around in a custom now? (The Merc taillites) LOL
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.