Junk tires

Started by enjenjo, August 22, 2012, 11:48:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

I am having a hard time getting rid of junk tires. There was a recycler here that would take them for $2 each, and shred them for cement kiln fuel, But they went out of business. The county transfer station will not take them.  I am getting a pile of them again, and no where close to get rid of them.

What do you do with junk tires?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat46

Quote from: "enjenjo"I am having a hard time getting rid of junk tires. There was a recycler here that would take them for $2 each, and shred them for cement kiln fuel, But they went out of business. The county transfer station will not take them.  I am getting a pile of them again, and no where close to get rid of them.

What do you do with junk tires?

I save up a bunch of them and toss them in a guys yard down in Swanton Ohio.... :lol:   Actually it is a problem, there was a shop here that would take them but they went out of business a month ago.

wayne petty

start calling the cement manufacturer.. they need the tires.. just because one of their suppliers has gone under does not mean they have stopped using tires in their cement plant...

there will be another transfer provider somewhere..

Holcim Us Inc  
6211 Ann Arbor Road, Dundee, MI 30 mi N
(734) 529-2411 ‎ · holcim.com
Category: Cement-wholesale
cement manufacturing · portland cement

Quikrete  
873 Western Avenue, Toledo, OH 17 mi E
(419) 241-1148 ‎ · quikrete.com
Category: Cement-manufacturers

i don't know about these last 2...

St Mary Cement - Toledo  
2301 Front Street, Toledo, OH 21 mi E
(419) 697-1141 ‎

Rolland Cement, Inc.  
113 Aberdeen Drive, Monroe Charter Township, MI 32 mi NE
(734) 344-4615 ‎

there is at least one cement plant here in so cal.. out east of fontana. who uses tires in their plant..

the insurance costs for storing used tires till one has enough for a truck load must be incredible..  as a recycling company..

there are also several companies around. who cut the tires into quarters.. and dip them in liquid nitrogen.. then braking them into tiny fragments. the steel is separated...  the rubber sold to asphalt plants for pavement..
one last company out here makes rubber mats out of the used tire rubber from nitrogen dipped and crumbled tires.. they also make molded sidewalk sections from them..

58 Yeoman

A few years back, a local cement plant had a trailer in various places to pick up tires, but I haven't seen it in a while.  They burned their tires whole.

Aren't tire sellers required to recycle tires?  But then, they usually charge $4 per tire.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Ohio Blue Tip

Old tires are easy to get rid of.    Every time you go to the quarter car wash, just leave two standing against the wall, problem solved. lol
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

UGLY OLDS

Put them out front by the road 4 at a time with a sign that says $100.00 for all ....DONT chain them to the tree ... POOF ...
Next morning ...All Gonnneeeeee..... :idea:  :roll:

Bob...... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

chimp koose

In saskatchewan we pay a $5 per tire recycling fee when tires are purchased.you drop off old ones at any tire shop . there are subsidised (with your $5 /tire fee)companies that recycle them into all kinds of stuff.You could always turn them inside out and make flower pots out of them!

chopped

Quote from: "chimp koose"In saskatchewan we pay a $5 per tire recycling fee when tires are purchased.you drop off old ones at any tire shop . there are subsidised (with your $5 /tire fee)companies that recycle them into all kinds of stuff.You could always turn them inside out and make flower pots out of them!
Wife did the pot thing with four of them for me, she had a heck of a time turning them inside out.

Charlie Chops 1940

I have a tire store about 4 miles from me that do dismounts, balancing, etc. for me. They take the old ones for $3 each. I do 4 or 5 every now and then to keep the pile smaller.

Kenny's idea is probably the best but now they have cameras....

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

WZ JUNK

Mine accidentally get into a burning brush pile.  I usually burn my brush during a heavy snow storm and the smoke seems to disappear.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

n.c.rodder

We have a recycling center that will take them for $5. The bonus is sometimes you find perfectly good tires in the shed when you drop off your junk ones. I picked up a pair for my plow truck that I've been using for the last 3 years. :D

Mike
Till we meet - On the street

Glen

the junk tires are picked up for free at my shop.  If you were in my town i would allow you to drop them off at no charge.  You might call around, especially if you are a regular customer of a shop that has a free pickup service.

Mac

Maybe just lucky and very rural but my landfill will take tires if the sidewalls are cut out. Plunge cut with my Sawzall, one handed walk around, flip and repeat. Worth asking.
Who\'s yer Data?

1800guy

My local landfill also takes them if the sidewalls are cut from the tread.  I use a drywall knife and pre-spray the cut with Windex.  I do 5 tires and then flip the blade, just to keep it easy.  We used to have to do a cut across the tread as well, but no more. THAT was a royal pain.
My project is 90% finished, with only 90% to go.

enjenjo

Well, I found that the Henry county landfill will take them. It's about 20 miles from here. They charge  3 cents a lb., no more than 10 tires at a time.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.