Packard

Started by enjenjo, August 08, 2012, 12:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

I started on the right  body mount at the rear of the back door at the dogleg. So much metal was missing, there was no place to fasten it. So I started grinding it back to clean metal. After grinding off 1/4" of bondo, i finally found some metal, more of the galvinizedn 29 ga. that the floor was made from. :shock:  After removing not one, not two, but three layers of this, I finally found the original dog leg, that was not in that bad of shape. So now I can start over.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Danimal

Patience. Outstanding.

oj

Sometimes you feel like an archeologist going thru different layers.
What year Packard?

enjenjo

It's a 36 120 Touring sedan.

Charlie Chops 1940

Your camera broken???
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

enjenjo

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"Your camera broken???

Nope. Just having trouble getting the camera, the Packard, and me in the same room at the same time. :roll:

enjenjo

Here are some pictures I took a little while ago. I had it all torn apart before I took any pictures. The dogleg measured from 1 1/2" high to 1 3/4" high. The original was 7/8". The door was hitting at the bottom, and at the rear.

enjenjo

So after spending a couple hours removing the junk, I finally got down to
something I could work with. Not obvious is an ancient repair that was actually fairly well done. You can also see the rotten right sill that we have not removed yet on the right side.

enjenjo

here is the patch I am making for it. I shrink one curve in it with my shrinker, and am making the second curve by tuck shrinking it.

enjenjo

I have the left front body mount repaired, it was the worse of the two, but both were bad.

enjenjo

left body sill ready to go back in the car. We had to make it slightly different than the original, so we could install them one at a time, and still get the crossmembers in. All the woodwork is by Fatcat.

oj

Now you've done it!  The work on the left side looks so good that you won't be able to let some of that other stuff slide.  
Tin from an hvac duct?  Makes you wonder why they bothered, i guess they just needed a foundation for the body filler.
Why the 2 different ways of shrinking?  Something about how the machine worked that you weren't satisfied with?  Tuck shrinking isn't one of my favorite methods and that is why i am curious.

UGLY OLDS

Nice work Frank ...  8)  
See all the "fun" our West Coast friends  are missing    :?:   To think that in the Mid-west this is where you normally START building a car   :roll: ...That & our "Annual Brake Line Replacement" program ...  :evil:

As far as using HVAC "Tin" for panels , I remember "back in the day" using one way street signs to replace complete floor panels ..They were the perfect size for some Fords ..  :oops:

Bob..... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

enjenjo

Quote from: "oj"Now you've done it!  The work on the left side looks so good that you won't be able to let some of that other stuff slide.  
Tin from an hvac duct?  Makes you wonder why they bothered, i guess they just needed a foundation for the body filler.
Why the 2 different ways of shrinking?  Something about how the machine worked that you weren't satisfied with?  Tuck shrinking isn't one of my favorite methods and that is why i am curious.

There is a wider surface the second way and my little Lancaster shrinker is overwhelmed.

enjenjo

I have the left sill in. It fit real nice. Stull working on the right dogleg, the outer panel is made, now I have to make the inner, and weld them together.