Car trailer tires

Started by Charlie Chops 1940, August 07, 2012, 06:57:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie Chops 1940

I'm looking to replace the tires on my enclosed trailer. The size is 205-75-15. They are starting to lose air setting in the driveway.

It looks like the choices are pretty much Goodyear Marathon, Carlisle or Loadstar as far as brands I recognize. I found reviews on the Goodyears and it wasn't very pleasant reading.

Any words of wisdom from the trailer crew?

Thanks,

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

WZ JUNK

My car trailer is not used nearly as much as it once was.  Nothing I have is used as much as it once was, but that is another story.   When I replace the tires on our mini van,  I put the used tires on the trailer and I always keep a couple good ones off the trailer for back up.  If I put new tires on the trailer, they would weather away long before the thread was wore out.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

phat rat

Charlie, back when my trailer was only 16 ft I ran tires that I'd taken off the Vette and later ones from the Burbs. Now I run 10 plys from the truck. I've never run trailer specific tires on it.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

32coupe

I use at a minimum 8ply light truck tyres, and have never had a problem
If you can\'t fix it with a hammer, you\'ve got an electrical problem

1800guy

I put Tow-Master radials from Discount Tire on my trailer and have been very happy with them.  I think (not sure) they are made by Carlisle.  My only direct comparison towing is comparing to a friends trailer that I borrowed to copy.  He has light truck tires on his, and I could feel that mine are more stable, with less sway.  As explained to me by the salesman, light truck tires and trailer tires have different sidewall constuction.  That is why trailer tires say "trailer use only".  But then, he's a salesman, so take that for what it's worth.
My project is 90% finished, with only 90% to go.

Beck

I own a trailer with another car friend. We always use the trailer specific tires. Rarely we will put something pretty heavy on ours, but it does happen. Charlie, I know what you mean about the reviews. Some are pretty scarry.

wayne petty

i wonder... what sizes of 15 inch tires are available in load Range E tires..

or if there is room to up size to a 16 inch rims as there are a lot more 16 inch load range E  tires available..

one might also want to visit a TRUCK specific tire store.. as commercial tires are available there.. so you might get lucky.

this is JUST A THOUGHT...  

i have a friend who is a tire distributer here in so cal...   i can drop him a call and see what's available in 15" tires.. as when i looked at tire rack.. when i punched in that size.. i only found trailer tires.  i just don't know if there is room for a slightly different size under your fenders..

i ran across one guy.. who had a pair of back up cameras mounted on the front corners of his trailer... so he could see beside the trailer even while backing around a corner..  used an A/B video switch and a single monitor on the dash..

Beck

I've been helping a guy pulling a big (12,000 lb) tractor. Typically we travel with 2 of these in the trailer, plus an ATV. Most of the competitors use retired moving van semi trailers. These are available with 2 different sized rear tire/wheel setups. The guys running with the small sized tires are having blowout issues. Luckally our trailer has the larger size. We haven't had any problems at all.

Charlie Chops 1940

Thanks for all the replies and thoughtful input. There is one other 15" trailer specific tire - a 225-75-15 but I'm  not sure I have enough room under the fenders. This is a box trailer that I'm not sure I want to relocate the fenders on it.

Car/truck tires in the same size tend to be rated for less capacity. The tires on the trailer are Duro brand about 5 years old and are becoming porous for whatever reason. It' raining today so I can't inspect them very well. Next dry day I will remove them one at a time to see if there is any obvious cracking or nails or cuts. I don't use it a lot - have put at most 10K on it. Probably need to have some tire covers to get them out of the sun.

I ranthe hose out there just now and put more air in. While doing so I checked the valve stems and all four are cracked. That might be a big part of the problem. Full inspection soon, and maybe steel valve stems.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

A Hooligan!

wayne petty

man i wish i still had a tool that was at a shop that closed..

it was a very short caulking gun body... with a pair of funnel sort of devices that fit at the end..  the shaft had a threaded adaptor with valve stem threads..

you could replace valve stems in wheels... with the TIRES MOUNTED...    jack up the wheel... rip the old stem out.. try to pull the old end out. but it usually pushes in.. lube the new stem.. thread it into the adaptor.. stick the funnel in.. place it against the wheel opening.. start squeezing.. pop right through the hole.. pull back to seat the stem.. unscrew the handle.. fill with air.. you are done..

Charlie Chops 1940

Wayne,

Northern Tool has one for about $35 - take a look...same?

Charlie

A Hooligan!

wayne petty

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"Wayne,

Northern Tool has one for about $35 - take a look...same?

Charlie

the Aim international version. 51025. neat... looks like one could actually make that with a metal valve stem extension.. a tee handle to braze or silver solder it to.... and a tapered transmission funnel...

the TEE handle shown  has a hook on the end to slip behind the bulb inside and yank it out..

enjenjo

I have pulled my big trailer a bunch of miles, with both used car tires, and regular trailer tires. I don't see much difference between them in the number of blowouts. I do see that inflation pressure makes a big difference, I run 42 psi now all the time. I run either 215 75 15, or 225 70 15.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat rat

In all the thousands of miles I've put on my car trailer I've had one blowout. That was back in 95. In 07 I picked up a nail which of course produced a flat. I think that's a pretty decent record of tire life considering it's never had new tires put on, always used. It's never had a trailer specific tire on it. I imagine by now it has close to 75,000 mi on it.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.