Holley carb ?

Started by phat rat, August 07, 2012, 04:44:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat rat

I'm considering a carb change. I've been using a Holley 750 #80508S and am considering going to a Holley Street Avenger 770 #80770. Does anyone here have any experience, good or bad, with the Avenger? This is for a fairly mild 454, street driven not raced. OK occasionally raced. LOL
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

wayne petty

just a thought..

why not one of the Summit variations... of the Holley up grade of the autolite 4100 carb as you can fine tune the idle feed and the pump discharge easier...  less chance of a float bowl leak as it has a TOP gasket...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-M08750MS/?rtype=10

probably use a BIG honking heat shield...

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Part-Type/Carburetor-Heat-Shields/?keyword=heat+shield

Idle Feed and Accelerator Pump Restrictor Removal,
Installation and Troubleshooting Instructions
SUM-M08040 M2008 Squirter Restriction Kit
SUM-M08041 M2008 Idle Feed Restriction Kit

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/sum-m08040-41.pdf

since you probably have headers.. do you have an oxygen sensor bung in the collector.. and a heated 3 wire oxygen sensor.. or the more expensive 4 wire sensor that has in individual grounds for the sensor and heater circuits to allow you to use a 40 buck air fuel ratio gauge and perhaps even a toggle switch to switch between left and right sensors..

using a carb inlet to a duct to something like the 1998 inner fender mounted air cleaner.   so you have an insulated from the engine heat air inlet.. with massive air filter elements that can be had at any parts or discount store...  these also run near the firewall giving you more room up front..

properly sized PCV flow.. verified.. by blocking the end and having the idle speed drop somewhere between 50 and 70 RPMs...   too small. is bad.. too big is  bad...

don't forget that for BEST fuel economy.. you will want to make sure that the primary throttle plates are closed as far as possible..  this is done by opening the secondary throttle stops or using a slightly larger flow PCV...

reading some of C9's before he went on the last cruise turned me on to some of the Fuel economy secrets..

where you need to get the primaries off the idle and idle transition circuits...  running at cruise speeds well onto the main circuits where the calibration actually is...

there are a bunch of guys here who know more about tuning holleys than i ever will....  i am talking part throttle operation.. not drag racing WOT operation..

part throttle is where tow vehicles spend their life...

being able to accelerate with an egg under the pedal without having to TROMP on it to get past the Flat spots is the idea...

the Road demon JR carbs  are kind of a spin on C9's ideas..

they have a square mounting flange.. so they will bolt to popular intakes.. but the primary bores are sized like a 390 CFM sized... and the secondaries are sized like a 700 or 750 CFM.. so you can run around on TINY primaries.  and still have a decent amount of air flow when you hammer down..

phat rat

Thanks Wayne, no oxygen sensors and this would be for the cpe so no towing. Also I want electric choke and vacumn advance. I posted this on three sites and only recieved three answers. Yours, one positive and one negative. It kind of surprised me
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

wayne petty

Quote from: "phat rat"Thanks Wayne, no oxygen sensors and this would be for the cpe so no towing. Also I want electric choke and vacumn advance. I posted this on three sites and only recieved three answers. Yours, one positive and one negative. It kind of surprised me

i wondered if it was for something other than your tow rig..

going to a different carb? unless for the visual aspect of something SHINY on the top of the motor...

are they built to a different design.. have changes in the jetting or booster venturi.   some kind of improvement in fuel control?

i noticed at the old man with the boat a 57 lincoln 430 sitting there.. had a familiar looking carb..  it was the original carb he said..  when i looked at it.. its was a LIST R-3310. must be one of the places  where the HOT ROD LINCOLN term came from.

HMM.. just envisioned a space ship looking air filter.. spun aluminum like 2 moon hubcaps. placed rim to rim...  with a drop base so it drops slightly around the carb.. ...  that takes a standard 14" element inside..  but has clearance around the back for the distributer..

i wonder if moon still spins stuff up...  it would take a big wood lathe to make a buck..

i must have my thinking cap on.. as i also came up with what might be a perpetual motion machine that might actually work..

sirstude

I have the 870 street avenger on my Impala and it works just fine.  I am still pulling 14.6 mpg on the highway with the 502 so I guess things are fine.  I did spend a bit of time tuning it a few years ago.  I still want to open the rear blade a bit so I can let the front blades down over the transfer slots and clean up the idle.  Just not enough to bother pulling the carb off to do it, I guess.  Anyway, good carb.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us