points to electronic module conversion

Started by trackster, August 06, 2012, 04:41:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trackster

Going to convert my old Chevy distributor from points to electronic module.  Any one have any preferences, as to which brand to consider, or which to avoid?   I know there are quite a few companies offering these.  Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with any particular kit.  Thanks.
I am CDO, kinda like OCD, but in alphabetical order, like it should be!

kb426

There has been a discussion on here about Pertronix. If you read that thread, you'll have alot of info.
TEAM SMART

Warpspeed

You can always just buy a kit and fit it yourself, as you already know.

Another much better way would be to fit an entire electronic distributor and coil off a later model car.
Some of the 1980's models had very good electronic ignitions with inbuilt mechanical centrifugal and vacuum advance. These usually had the igniter built into the base of the distributor, and require the special "electronic" ignition coil that goes with it.

The very latest EFI cars now have completely locked distributors and use the engine management computer to map the ignition timing, so are unsuitable.

Using a full factory ignition, (that is distributor plus special "electronic" coil) will provide a very solid and factory proven high output system, and at very low cost.

Adding an aftermarket kit to the existing points type ignition coil will not be anywhere near as good, and will probably cost more.

Rrumbler

I like Pertronics for kits, if your distributor is in good condition.  But I would definitely consider a new/refurb HEI distributor for a conversion.  For a street driven car, an HEI with vac. adv. is a good choice.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

papastoyss

Quote from: "Rrumbler"I like Pertronics for kits, if your distributor is in good condition.  But I would definitely consider a new/refurb HEI distributor for a conversion.  For a street driven car, an HEI with vac. adv. is a good choice.
Amen to that. If you have enough firewall clearance a big cap HEI is a good choice. Very dependable & you can get parts if needed most anywhere.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

BFS57

HELLO;
Well, there is this guy, his name is Dave and he can take your Chevy Dizzy and make an HEI out of it! Try Daves Small Body Hei on the net. His nickname is "Sparkman"
When I first got my 57 Chevy it had Mallory but that quit dead on me right in traffic! Next I have the Ignitor 2. Lousy, it needs key on time to be ready to fire. Next, I'm gonna try one of Daves units. I don't have the space for a "normal" HEI so I have to have a small body unit!

Bruce