A few Old 'Burb Questions..please.

Started by Arnold, August 06, 2012, 01:10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arnold

Thinking of buying an old 'Burb..around a 2001. Just curious as to when the time comes..fuel and brake lines..access to? Easy? Average? Nightmare?
Don't buy one haha.

Also..I do know a few people that have them..albeit a bit newer..as well as trucks with 5.3's. (They seem to pretty much all have either 5.3's or 6.0.s Not many 5.7's?) They seem to require too much pedal to move them.(they just do not seem to have much low end at very light throttle) .although they do get pretty impressive fuel mileage..compared to old ones..and taking into consideration their ponderous buik. A few people have said that the 6.0 WHEN BABIED is better on fuel..I dunno? True?

Thanks very much..

idrivejunk

Had a recent experience with an 01 or 02 5.3 Yukon/Tahoe where it must have hydrolocked, it broke the starter snout one morning. It ran with a new starter but knocked and ran bad so out it came and in went another same engine with about the same mileage, just over 100K. Well the old engine (113K) had tapped after cold startup for quite some time. The replacement only had 100K miles on it, but after a few more thousand miles, now the replacement has the same morning "tappa tappa" that the original did. So I would say if you get one with a 5.3 you might want to do head gaskets at or before 100 thousand miles. The Yukon in question needed a trans at 30K miles, so maybe it was one of those Friday-built lemons? Thats all the input I've got. The owner loves it.
Matt

wayne petty

a tip to tell the difference between the 4.8 and 5.3 LS motors... as they are mostly identical on the outside..
pull a spark plug..
4.8s have a flat top piston
5.3s have a slightly dished piston.
both use the same block and heads..

probably won't help in your selection..  but its a good tidbit for engine searching..

Crosley.In.AZ

I've got a 2006 crew cab 1500 2wd  truck with a 5.3 engine.  If you are in the hills, you will be into the throttle hard with an empty truck.

The LS engines like to rev to make any power. Low down in RPM  there seems to be very little torque. My truck has a 3.73 rear gear

if I hook my car trailer (aluminum) up with the 1962  Falcon on the trailer, MPG goes from 17 to 11 on the freeway at 65 mph.

I had an AirAid intake system on the truck. With the trailer hooked up, the truck sounded like the old daze of the Q-jet with the OE air cleaner top turned upside down
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Arnold

Thank you! for your help(as usual!) guys..
 I am NO longer concerned about low end :twisted:
 I pulled the trigger on an extreme hd 3/4 ton 4wd unmarked Highway
Police Patrol 'Burb.   It  does NOT have a 4.8 or 5.3. :cry:
The guy I bought it off buys and sells these things. He said these ones with the "Heavy Duty Truck" emmissions package. (Ya right..the cops just want to have next to no emmission controls to get more power) have a 6.0 with 380 horsepower :lol:
 This thing is noisy..as in very muscular :D  I did not really get to "test" the low end. It moves effortlessly..and quickly in city stop and go.
 Out on the highway..at 50mph I did put my foot down.. :wink:
To be honest..I did expect more low end. And it seemed a little bit slow to downshift :?: One of those "drive by wire" thinggy's..? I dunno. There was
adequate pull..then more..AND MORE!! REALLY! felt like this thing had a cam in it! Man oh man does this thing ever howl! This thing makes a lot of noise..both in and outside..feels great..and really,really goes..even considerring it's mass.
 I am  not up on newer sbcs..(new to me) 5.3's.6.0s..I know the ones I have been in..5.3's do seem to have good power..when revved up. I think they have 300 hp. I think the 6.0s here in Canada have 345 hp. I am pretty sure the 5.3's I have been in were pretty representative..at their 300hp. Seat of the pants..guesstimate..if they had 300 h.p..this thing I bought..does not have just..40 50 hp more..this thing packs a real wallop!
I can easily see 380hp.
 Hey..it is certified and etested..( I don't really care if they did the old
plug in one vehicle's information  into the computer and database..and the tail pipe sniffer into some putt putt on the rollers..)(( that sure happens!)) Once it has been given a clean bill of health to a new owner..
they can charge you $400 for "repairs" every 3 years..to try and clean it up. Providing all the manufacturers stuff is still there.
 Cop cars up here..never,ever buy one not etested up here..if you can't get it passed..you might not be able to. (unless you know "someone" who will do that above trick)They used to license and register hem as "off highway vehicles" registered to the government under
"His Majesty The King" haha..I kid you not. And that was not that long ago.

Cros..Thanks! for the memories of my old friend and I in high school taking out his dad's 350 Imapla and turning the a/cl lid upside down haha

Thanks again guys..

Yes! it has the bars in the rear windows and I am going to leave them in haha.