Lokar shifter neutral safety switch adjustment

Started by Charlie Chops 1940, June 20, 2012, 09:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie Chops 1940

Working on the final adjustments on the Lokar floor shifter for the 700R4 in my '40 Chevy. Long story short...

When adjusted to start in P and N, and not start in R...It also starts in OD.

When readjusted to not start in OD, it starts in P, R and N.

I have micro-adjusted this mechanism a half dozen times at least and the results are the same each time. I have triple checked the shift rod length and assembly to the trans shift lever.

If I had a way to know I'd guess the detent recesses and high spots are spaced incorrectly or the switch is "on" over too much of its in and out travel. I won this at the kickoff party at Knoxville one year but they originally gave me one for a TH350. They corrected it by removing and replacing the appropriate parts in the box...or did they?

Anyone else battle this and find a solution?

Thanks,

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Fat Cat

It sounds to me like the detents on the shifter are not corresponding to detents on the shifter. Your description sounds exactly like the issue I have had with using a T-350 lokar shifter on a 700R-4.

butch27

My friend has a Lokar with the same problem.  I have a Gennie and no such trouble??? Lucky I guess.  They are hard to adjust!

Charlie Chops 1940

Well, I guess I'll have to give them a call tomorrow.

How much complaining can I do for a botched up FREE shifter with an expired warranty?

I hate to put the B&M ratchet shifter back in - It's mega-busy.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

A Hooligan!

chopped

Same problem long enough ago that I forget the details but I made a shim from aluminum flashing .Used it to move the detent out. More coffee may improve my memory.

WZ JUNK

Charlie, I have had fits with these in the past but once you get them adjusted, they work fine.  I am guessing that you have followed the Lokar instructions http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/lok-neutralsafetyknobremovalfora.pdf  and you have been using the funny little plug that replaces the switch for adjusting.  

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Charlie Chops 1940

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"Charlie, I have had fits with these in the past but once you get them adjusted, they work fine.  I am guessing that you have followed the Lokar instructions http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/lok-neutralsafetyknobremovalfora.pdf  and you have been using the funny little plug that replaces the switch for adjusting.  

John

Yes, I got Lokar instructions with the unit and they are clear as to the procedure. After the adjustment instructions they  make the statement; "Your shifter is now in perfect adjustment and will not start in gear."  I went through the procedure multiple times using their test plug. It all looks good but with the actual switch it always starts in P,N and OD. I know that's never happened before...right?

When I re-adjust to get non-start in OD (with the actual switch screwed in the bracket) I have to move the bracket quite a ways to get the plunger free of the edge of that detent hole, which then when shifted to reverse holds the plunger in allowing the reverse start mode. There is ton of adjustment on the bracket that holds the switch so I know it's not for lack of adjust-ability.

Charlie

A Hooligan!

WZ JUNK

I know I have been in the same situation before but I am having brain fade.  All that keeps coming to mind is shimming the switch after the detent is in the right position.  I think you have already been through that.  Are you sure it is the shifter for an overdrive transmission?  If I listen closely, I can probably hear your reply,
"Yes, God****, I know what the ***** I have."  

Good luck, I will ponder on this some more.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

enjenjo

I seem to remember something like John, I recall a thin washer between the switch and the bracket.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Charlie Chops 1940

Quote from: "enjenjo"I seem to remember something like John, I recall a thin washer between the switch and the bracket.

Yes, there is a washer between the switch and the bracket - about 3/32".

I called Lokar just now and talked to a tech named Mike. He believes the problem is caused by the threaded linkage rod being long by a turn or two. We'll see and I'll post the results of that chase.

Charlie

A Hooligan!

n.c.rodder

Charlie,

We've been having issues with Lokar Shifters the last five years or so while doing Safety Inspections. Below is our info sheet handed out at the safety meeting.

Lokar Shifters

Please inform your team members that if they should find a street rod equipped with a Lokar shifter which starts in gear, they should advise the street rodder to contact Lokar Performance Products, 10924 Murdock Drive, Knoxville, TN 37922. Lokar has produced an adjustment fixture, which consists of an aluminum plug, that allows perfect adjustment of the neutral safety switch.

The problem is one of adjustment after the shifter is used for a period of time[/i]

This might help

Mike
:D [/u]
Till we meet - On the street

Charlie Chops 1940

Hi Mike,

My shifter came with the aluminum adjustment plug you mentioned. It is a helpful hole filler but something else is still wrong about mine.

I went through  shortening of the threaded linkage rod as advised by Mike at Lokar. I shortened it incrementally 1/2 turn at a time for 2-1/2 total turns, and re-adjusted the neutral safety switch each time. No change and it still starts in the OD position. I could not shorten the rod any further and still assemble it to the trans shift lever. By then Lokar was closed for the day.

I will call them again tomorrow and try to get hooked up with Mike so as to not start over. I'm interested in hearing plan B. I suspect something is wrong in the linkage in this assembly in that the overall movement through the gear change is not proportional to the movement in the neutral safety switch detent layout. Or it may not have anything to do with it. The more I think I know usually bites me in the butt anyway....

I can't redesign it for them, but I'll give them all the leeway they need to make it a safely functioning product. At least I haven't heard the famous last words; " Man, we've never had that happen before.".

Charlie

Quote from: "n.c.rodder"Charlie,

We've been having issues with Lokar Shifters the last five years or so while doing Safety Inspections. Below is our info sheet handed out at the safety meeting.

Lokar Shifters

Please inform your team members that if they should find a street rod equipped with a Lokar shifter which starts in gear, they should advise the street rodder to contact Lokar Performance Products, 10924 Murdock Drive, Knoxville, TN 37922. Lokar has produced an adjustment fixture, which consists of an aluminum plug, that allows perfect adjustment of the neutral safety switch.

The problem is one of adjustment after the shifter is used for a period of time[/i]

This might help

Mike
:D [/u]

A Hooligan!

wayne petty

from the installation guide...

i wonder... is the neutral safety switch also the back up light switch...  so one terminal is grounded in P and N.. the other grounded in Reverse.. perhaps.. the wrong terminal is hooked up..

it also shows the shifter is to be set using the aluminum plug when IN REVERSE...    the transmission in my thinking should also be in reverse..   i have not installed or worked with one of these shifters. but that makes sense if it shows to set the shifter up in reverse...

this would cause it to start in reverse and overdrive..

P R N Od 3 2 1   neutral switch closed.

P R N Od 3 2 1     reverse switch closed...

does your neutral switch have 2 terminals and screw into the side of the shifter???? change in depth of the plunger changes which contacts close...

post the shifter model number if you can so i can find the correct info to help you..

##########################
from the PDF file..

Make sure that driver's side banana bracket which is bolted to the gear plate is tight (Figure 1)

IMPORTANT: For the neutral safety switch to function properly, you must verify that the linkage
going from shifter to trans is adjusted correctly. To verify this, put transmission and shifter in the Park
position. Install one rod end onto one end of the threaded rod. When bolting the other end of the
threaded rod and rod end onto the appropriate bracket, be sure the hole in the rod end exactly
matches the hole in the lever. The bolt should travel freely through both holes without binding. Do
not force the holes to match. Adjust the rod end. If you encounter a bind on your first attempt,
remove the bolt from the rod end, loosen the jam nut and screw the rod end in or out to free the bind.

Do this without moving any shifter/transmission levers or arms. Use this adjustment routine until you
are free of binds. (Figure 2)

The lock-out button is flush with the knob in Park and Neutral. In the Reverse position, you cannot
pull the lever into Neutral without depressing the button.

Remove neutral safety switch and washer (Figure 3)
Loosen passenger side banana bracket bolts (Figure 4)

Put shifter into the Reverse position

Screw aluminum plug into the neutral safety switch opening. (Figure 5) Line up plug into center slot
of shifter body

Tighten all bolts on passenger side banana bracket
Remove aluminum plug

• Install neutral safety switch with washer and test for continuity

Your shifter is now in perfect adjustment and will not start in gear. If your car should ever start in any
gear other than Park or Neutral, please readjust neutral safety switch accordingly. Tighten all brackets
and bolts correctly and securely and there should be no movement or maladjustment. If you have any
questions after following this procedure, please call Lokar as listed below.

phat rat

Man I've never had that happen before! :P   Sorry I just couldn't resist :lol:
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

chopped