I need a pair of junk Ford axles

Started by enjenjo, April 13, 2012, 08:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

I need a pair of 4 1/2" bolt pattern, big bearing Ford axles, with bearings, cut just inside the bearing retainer for setup on the RRT race car. I dug through my stuff, and don't have any thing that will work.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

wayne petty

how about carving out a pair of bearing spacers...  as you might have a small bearing set up..

if you have a single complete big bearing axle to measure the size and offset differences..

i would imagine that you have already thought of this..   if i had a pair.. they would be yours..

just an idea..

junkyardjeff

I should have a pair from a 67 country sedan wagon.

enjenjo

Quote from: "junkyardjeff"I should have a pair from a 67 country sedan wagon.

That should work. are you going to Wilmington for the race? I will be there, or we can arrange a pickup on the way through.

junkyardjeff

I might go to Wilmington but not sure at this moment,I will dig them out of the shed this weekend.

348tripower

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "junkyardjeff"I should have a pair from a 67 country sedan wagon.

That should work. are you going to Wilmington for the race? I will be there, or we can arrange a pickup on the way through.

Frank,
Let me know if this doesn't work out. I will check today. I should have a pair that are not being used. You have my phone number.
Don Colliau

junkyardjeff

I found the axles,since I dont know if I am going to Wilmington I can leave them outside so you can pick them up on the way.

enjenjo

Quote from: "junkyardjeff"I found the axles,since I dont know if I am going to Wilmington I can leave them outside so you can pick them up on the way.

PM me an address, and I'll google it.

enjenjo

Junkyard Jeff fixed me up with a pair of axles. I cut them off short so we can use them to mock up the wheels and brakes. Thanks Jeff.

wayne petty

i take it that the cut off shafts are being made into building jigs for differentials...   so you can set a diff on for assembly without it rolling around the work bench..

could be ground to a square or flat for vice mounting..   machined down and threaded to drop through a hole on the work bench and put a big nut on the end..  flat washers to increase the size..

the middle of the cut off.. as you are not going to need more than a foot or so for the diff mount..   creatively carved away on a mill.. so you can make one heck of a panel cutter..

think of the design of the muffler cutting hammer end.. where it has a curved blade..  and peals out a narrow strip of metal..  

just something creative that could be done in a little while on a vertical mil..    ___\(

enjenjo

I needed a way to mock up the brakes, and tire location so we can do further fabrication until we get the good axles. Funny thing, one of the axles cut fine with a band saw, the other needed to be cut with an abrasive wheel, the band saw would not touch it.