Dual diaphram fuel pump on a 351-W

Started by junkyardjeff, February 19, 2012, 08:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyardjeff

I have decided to keep the vacumn wipers in my 55 sunliner and would like to see if I can get a dual diaphram fuel pump to work on the 351 thats in it,I know the FE and Y block fuel pumps will switch but does anyone know if the 62 fairlane with 221 came with a dual diaphram pump or were the vacumn wipers gone by then. I know the falcons still had vacumn wipers in 60 and possibly 61 but did any of the other models still have them a little later when the windsor motors came out.

parklane

Have you thought about using a canister for some reserve? My 56 also has vac wipers, and thinking about this idea for mine, if it can be hidden someplace.
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

wayne petty

why not grab a vacuum assist pump from a mid 80s though mid 90s GM front wheel drive car...

they are designed to assist the power brake system..  and will do the same job as the dual diaphragm fuel pump..

it is usually stashed down in the front lower fender .. actually in front of the left front tire..  it comes mounted on a bracket with 3 bolts into the framerail..

there are two versions..   one with a pressure switch in the power brake booster face...   the other has a large device that is an internal vacuum control switch..

these also only boost the vacuum about 5 or 6 inches of mercury..  but it will help empty the reserve tank...

please make sure that it actually works before leaving the junk yard if possible..  

just like the  dual diaphragm fuel pump.;. one side gets hooked to manifold vacuum... the other side gets hooked to the ... in your case.. the wiper..    you might want to scrounge a vacuum reserve tank  and some INLINE power brake booster check valves..  usually found on imported cars..   this will actually help the vacuum pump..   you could actually hook one to ported vacuum also.. so you would have more vacuum when going up hills..

this dual feed might actually be a good thing to try first..  which ever has more vacuum keeps the air coming out of the reserve tank..

you might end up with so much vacuum that the wiper blades fly off..

junkyardjeff

I got one of those vacumn cans from a 70s car on it now,the wiper motor quit shortly after hooking it up so its going to be sent out to be rebuilt and definately might look into one of those vacumn pumps. It does not see much rain so I dont want to spend the money on a electric conversion,since its a old car I like it to sound and feel like a old car which needs the sound of the vacumn wipers.

wayne petty

a 70's vacuum can might have TOO SMALL an opening to allow enough air to flow through it when the wiper motor operates..

you might want to create something IN PIPE..  with multiple power brake booster check valves and 3/8 hose or...

you could even do it in exhaust tubing.. bent to hide in a curved fender well

you might want to try to find room for this .. that is usually found in power brake booster vacuum lines..  its actually  carbon canister to absorb fuel vapors before they can get into the pump or booster diaphragms...

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/additional-prod-images/en/US/drm/80195/2/image/4/

see the vacuum fittings on these are just too small for enough flow for the wiper motor needs...

as i recall you will need at least 1/4" lines and hoses to operate it properly...