Removing paint from hood sides

Started by midnight sun, February 16, 2012, 04:12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midnight sun

After installing a full hood on my model A, I now have a overheat problem.  I am going to have the hoodsides louvered (which I probably should have done in the first place).  Rootlieb wants them stripped.  Checked with a buddy that does sand blasting and he wont touch them for fear of warping.  So that leaves me with DA Sander,  paint stripper, or........???  

What say you??
How can there be "self help" groups :?:

phat46

Quote from: "midnight sun"After installing a full hood on my model A, I now have a overheat problem.  I am going to have the hoodsides louvered (which I probably should have done in the first place).  Rootlieb wants them stripped.  Checked with a buddy that does sand blasting and he wont touch them for fear of warping.  So that leaves me with DA Sander,  paint stripper, or........???  

What say you??

Leave 'em alone and fix the overheating prob!  :D  (sorry couldn't resist)

midnight sun

Quote from: "phat46"
Quote from: "midnight sun"After installing a full hood on my model A, I now have a overheat problem.  I am going to have the hoodsides louvered (which I probably should have done in the first place).  Rootlieb wants them stripped.  Checked with a buddy that does sand blasting and he wont touch them for fear of warping.  So that leaves me with DA Sander,  paint stripper, or........???  

What say you??

Leave 'em alone and fix the overheating prob!  :D  (sorry couldn't resist)

HaHa wish I could.  Never had a problem until I put the hood on.  Always ran about 190 even when it was over 100 out.  Also had to install an electric fuel pump because the heat under the hood was causing vapor lock.  Never thought it would make that much difference.  Maybe Im overstating the problem too but I dont think running at 215-220 on the open highway is a good thing.

enjenjo

Paint stripper sounds like the solution to me.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

idrivejunk

Matt

chimp koose

3M safest stripper. Water based, Apply it and then cover with plastic kitchen wrap. You will be able to remove whatever doesnt lift off with the plastic wrap using a plastic bondo spreader.

ragdol

I'd have them plastic media blasted. My stripper would only charge $25 or less, & they would be clean in all the little crevises that you could only get with messy stripper.

GPster

Quote from: "midnight sun"HaHa wish I could.  Never had a problem until I put the hood on.  Always ran about 190 even when it was over 100 out.  Also had to install an electric fuel pump because the heat under the hood was causing vapor lock.  Never thought it would make that much difference.  Maybe Im overstating the problem too but I dont think running at 215-220 on the open highway is a good thing.
In the work that Wayne was talking me through on the "Middle Jeep"'s  carb I got to question why the stock fuel filter had two outlets. He told me it was a Chrysler (Chrysler type carb on an AMC engine) trick for vapor locking. The extra outlet kept the fuel moving between the fuel pump and the carb so that it doesn't lay dormant in the engine heat while being metered by the carb's float. It would require a line running from the fuel filter to the fuel tank but maybe something temporary could be rigged to see if it would work ( of course it will be a while til we have 100 degree  driving days). GPster

wayne petty

i just keep thinking about water jet cutting of the louvers...

but flame patterns to the edge...

it would take a custom DIE to create the straight bend..

it would be a tremendous amount of additional work to prep and paint the flames..

but it might be breathtaking..

since water jets are cnc.. the pattern could be reproduced on both in identical  dimensions..

and Each louver would/could be a different shape...

a few test panels would need to be done first..

this is just an idea..  

there is also baking  soda blasting..  plastic blast media is widely available..

as for the mopar 3 hose fuel filter.. that is always a great option.. one thing.. mopars use a small restriction at the tank... or the fuel pressure will be too low to keep up with the carb needs...

chimp koose

Ragdoll, good point about the crevices. When I did my car I masked the edges and sanded them out. Forgot about it till you made mention.

tom36

Quote from: "ragdol"I'd have them plastic media blasted. My stripper would only charge $25 or less, & they would be clean in all the little crevises that you could only get with messy stripper.

I agree-  probably wouldn't be much more than a gallon of stripper: no  mess, and all the little nooks and crannies clean.  tom...

kb426

I use the engine vat. If they're painted with urethane, it won't remove it. Then I use aircraft stripper.
TEAM SMART

midnight sun

Took the hood sides to my powder coater and he blasted them with soda.  Outstanding job and absolutely no warpage.

Ernie Callen

ever think about a razor blade
ernie