Econoline spindles and light weight brakes

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, January 28, 2012, 06:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

Looking for ideas for lighter brakes on these econoline spindles.

I am familiar with the common disc brake conversion on these spindles  with large calipers and rotors from a Mopar application.  Bolt wheel pattern is 5 x 4.5 Ford

These parts are heavy and I am looking to lighten up stuff for a drag car application.

Pictured are the vented  rotors I have, they measure .950 thick.

The  $$ budget does not allow Wilwood brand type parts.  I've been watching eBay and other locations.

If I could fit a solid rotor disc, VW calipers would be a possible fitment.

Guess I can leave the brakes off the front
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

Try Volvo Rotors. Edit; I just did some looking an 86 to 92 Cad Eldo rear rotor is 10.5" diameter, .500" thick, and the bolt pattern is 115 mm. you can file the holes toward the center .030" and it will fit your hubs. The hub may need to be turned at the pilot to fit the center hole in the rotor.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

papastoyss

Maybe look at rear calipers from a c4 (86-88 ) Corvette. They're aluminum &not real large like the fronts.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

tomslik

how about the rear rotors on an explorer?
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

butch27

What year are those spindles?  They don't look like my 1965s.And the Kingpin looks different.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "butch27"What year are those spindles?  They don't look like my 1965s.And the Kingpin looks different.

No idea the year of the spindles. They were on the axle when I got it.

Explorer rear disc rotors... hmm, forgot about them, great idea.  I've been looking around for measurements on the rotor to see how deep the 'hat' section is.
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"Try Volvo Rotors. Edit; I just did some looking an 86 to 92 Cad Eldo rear rotor is 10.5" diameter, .500" thick, and the bolt pattern is 115 mm. you can file the holes toward the center .030" and it will fit your hubs. The hub may need to be turned at the pilot to fit the center hole in the rotor.

kool, more options.  Looking at calipers for vettes and other cars  for narrow rotors
Tony