Sources for a 80s 351-w HO cam

Started by junkyardjeff, January 10, 2012, 10:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyardjeff

The 80s 351-W I have in my 55 sunliner has a cam that is in the wrong rpm range that I need,it has a slightly lopey cam with a 302 firing order that starts to make power around 2500 rpms and after talking to someone who had built a few motors told me it should have been set up with adjustable rocker arms as it always had a little valvetrain noise but since I dont want to spend the money converting the heads to adjustable rockers I want a cam that will work with the stock valve train the motor has and be better for the rpm range a heavy car with highway gears needs. I had a 87 F150 with the 5.8 HO and liked the way it ran so I figure that is a good enough cam for what I need and other then a dealer where can I get a duplicate of that cam.

wayne petty

call joey at american custom cams  as him for an H230 grind... on which ever cam you want..  i have previously installed several of that exact grind in 351W.. 460,  350 chevy, 360.. dodge.. all with huge smiles on their face..

i took out an RV grind on the 351W .. it got 11 MPG.. swapped on duplicate heads do to a freeze crack on the outside only...  and the H230 grind.. went to completely drivable at any highway speed and got 17 mpg..  with a 78 E150 that weighed 6500 pounds and was driven 300 to 400 miles a day..

junkyardjeff

I will give them a call,if I can get this 351 to run good it might not get a Y block. I think its got a set of junk smog heads and might install a set of E7TE heads along with the cam. I just want a good cam that will work with stock valve train parts.

kb426

Summit sells a few different hydraulics under their own brand. I have used the one that is a clone of the Ford Perf. that is a step up from an 83 gt cam and the next step up. I was satisfied with both.
TEAM SMART

junkyardjeff

I have located a new stock cam and a set of E7TE heads,going with a 69 or 70 timing chain set and will swap the parts early fall since I have way too many projects right now.