My Coupe is gonna get a Hemi.

Started by Carnut, October 19, 2011, 05:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carnut

I sold my 1931 Ford Model A Hiboy Coupe to my nephew Troy Pate back in 2003. It had been my first car.

Since getting my coupe Troy has wanted to keep it in tribute both to how I had it and how he remembered it from growing up with it, but he's also always wanted to be a bit more over the top 'Old Skool' as he and his peer group define it.

So Troy went and found this to put in my coupe.

Troy is a major local car builder and I have every confidence he'll get it done.

32coupe

Got to love them Hemi's  :D  :D  :wink:
If you can\'t fix it with a hammer, you\'ve got an electrical problem

Carnut

Looks like I talked Troy into putting Dual Fours on the Hemi.

You old Mopar fans will note those Oval Dual Four Air Cleaners were made to use the early Mopar Dual Four Air Filters.

Seems I had reminisced on having had the original Dual Four Air Cleaners on my Coupe when I first put the Wedge Engine in the coupe back in 67.

Unfortunately somewhere along the way I managed to let go of one of those air cleaners so we started looking around for another one. Come to find out those things are now as rare as hens teeth and the only ones we could find available are repros for $675 pair with $75 shipping.

http://www.nicksgarage.com/aircleaner.htm

So Troy managed to track down the Aluminum Ones  in the pics above, they are actually even more rare but Troy got them for $300 for the pair. They are made by Creitz who is related to the Creitz and Donovan Drag racing folks. Troy thinks it's cool they match the Moon Valve covers.

Troy is talking about going with a whole new 32 Ford Frame and chassis under my Old Coupes Body. (I kinda recommended that).

Heh, heh, this for me is kinda like watching some reality show like 'Pimp My Ride' as he goes and redoes my old Coupe as I watch.

Oh, I gotta thank 32Coupe for posting that pic, it has already really helped showing Troy of what things should/will look like, even with the steering on the 'other' side. Unfortunately Troy is asking for a blower for Christmas.

UGLY OLDS

QuoteUnfortunately Troy is asking for a blower for Christmas.
[/quote]

I did hear you say that Troy was your "Favorite Nephew" ....... :lol:  :lol:

Hey Troy ....That's the way I was supposed to say that ......Right :?:  :?:  :idea:

Bob............ :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Old Coyote

That's going to be one killer ride when finished  8)  8)
I may have to grow old, but I refuse to grow up !!

Carnut

OK, Troy went and bought this frame for the coupe conversion. from a builder out in Colo. Riley Automotive.

It's a 32 style front frame rails from the firewall forward and model a rails from firewall back with the 8" Z in back. Setup for Hemi engine with a Torqueflite trans mounts.

I'm hoping Troy won't let the rear set too low.

Frame is built and paid for and on it's way.

Looks like the plan is using the P&J rear ladder bars and P&J front hairpins and a 5" dropped Magnum I-beam axle. Troy also intends to use the finned Buick drums on the front.

Here's an typical example of the chassis.

t-vicky

Whats that old story about one thing leading to anouther?

Carnut

Looks like Santa Claus came early.

From Troy,

"Well, I hope you're sitting down and I really hope you like this!??

I just bought this for the coupe – seriously!

Hope you're Smiling!! – see picture

I have it in hand, deal is done!!  Got it from Gary Roushkolb in east Wichita.  He collects them, rebuilds them himself and races them.  He has about 40 of them right now.  He has included everything we need except the carbs (which I have new ones already).  Part of the deal is that once we get it set in the frame he will come out and make sure we have all the correct pulleys and spacers needed, then once we get it set and ready to start he will come back out and tune it for us.  Yes, its totally rebuilt.  Wow, never thought I would own a blower car!!  Im excited!

Carnut

Weather is looking good here for T-day so Troy is getting the coupe out for a ride on T-day.

Here's a short video of Troy checking out the coupe to make sure it will run.

http://carnut.com/photo/rides/11/1931cpe1.avi

For those on Facebook this might work better:

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150382871983387&notif_t=video_processed

Carnut

Here's the same video on Youtube,

http://youtu.be/Uby0qA-Qz5g

Couldn't find any code to let my do an embed.

Carnut

Looks like Troy is gathering the parts together for his coupe project.

Just got in the P&J ladder bar parts.

Then Troy went and mocked up the Hemi with the new Blower.

Oh, by the way that's my main photog Charlotte who is Troy's mom in the pic. Ain't she a Babe?

Also anyone ever see one of these? Or have any idea what it stands for?

That sticker has been in the window of my coupe for more than 40yrs.

Carnut

More Pics of Coupe Progress.

The Frame is in now.

Larry Ashley doing a wheelie with the frame.

Larry Ashley is putting things together on the frame.

Troy is gutting my old Coupe in preparation for removing the body from the existing chassis.

Heh, heh, the keg gastank is Troys tribute to his father, I had a 62 Chevy gastank with a sending unit for gas gage, but Troys dad Jonny Pate put a keg gastank in his coupe, so Troy decided to do the same with my old Coupe.

Here's a pic of my old Coupe and Troys Dad's Blue Coupe.

Heh, heh, Troy was worried I'd be upset seeing the Coupe being torn down like this. I've torn the old Coupe apart like this several times when I had it.

Carnut

More Pics.

Looks like Larry Ashley is really going to town on the project.

kb426

Lots of work, lots of fun. I'm excited for all of you.
TEAM SMART

wayne petty

is the black hemi on the stand going in the car as is.???

or are the heads going to come off to replace the head gaskets and smear a coat of hylomar on both sides of the head gasket to prevent seeps or leaks like one can see on the front of the block where the head are bolted on...    just an idea..

perhaps its just coolant seep from the water pump gasket...

wayne..
 forward thinker..