old looking 2 bbl carb for a straight six

Started by junkyardjeff, September 26, 2011, 01:19:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyardjeff

I am wanting to adapt a old looking small 2 bbl carb to the 235 thats in my 37 Chevy p/u so I picked up a Stromberg Aerotype 2 bbl at a swapmeet since the linkage works the same as the Rochester 1 bbl and has a manual choke but found out it has a vacumn accelerator pump and was told I might not like the performance of it. Other then the GMC 302 I cant remember any other old straight six having a 2 bbl,I did look at the carbs from a Buick and Pontiac straight 8 but I might have to go to a cable linkage to make it work, I spent alot of time trying to make the 235 look like a 216 so I need a carb that looks old and will accept a original looking aircleaner and can be made to be adapted to my original throttle linkage. It might be time to look at the old big trucks and possibly industrial and farm equipment so if anyone has any ideals let me know.

wayne petty

perhaps a look at the stromberg carb manual for many different models might help..

it might be worth printing each of the pages...

http://packard.oldcarmanualproject.com/Packard%20Manuals/1939Packard-StrombergManual/index.htm

got any pictures of it.. or perhaps there is still a carb number??? to help identify exactly which model you have???

i did see one on ebay for 125.00

junkyardjeff

The 1940 AAV looks similar to the one I have and has a normal mechanical accelerator pump,I might have a Holley 2 bbl off a 302 GMC located and will be looking for a 2 bbl of a late 30s GM straight 8 as long as it has a manual choke.

GPster

Check out my question "Middle Jeep questions" and the help sites that Wayne gave me. My Jeep uses a Carter BBD 2 barrel carb. This carb was used on the AMC 258" six back into the '70s ( and maybe some Ramblers too) It was also used on 318" Chrysler engines and some of the newer slant sixes. I'm sure if you check you'll find a lot of other uses. The Chrysler products use one with an 1 1/2" (1 7/16") venturie but the other uses like AMC used a smaller one that is probably better suited to your 235". The sites that Wayne gave me will give you some pictures of it and I think ti would be close to an old style look. The choke assembley might not fit the look but the mounting is removable from the carb body. Applications before '80 seem to have less smog junk on them but most of it is removable.When Edelbrock took Carter they let this carb die but there seems to be enough applications that you can still find "kits" and parts for them. GPster

alchevy

I have a complete 216 that needs rebuilding that is taking up space in my garage.
AL
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com