Coil Overs need rubber bushings

Started by BFS57, September 05, 2011, 08:05:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BFS57

Hello;
Well, had to remove the back seat out of my Vicky, (Another Subject) Good thing, as I got under to take off the nuts holding it, I noticed that the rear coil over shocks, I don't know what brand, have wiped out the rubber bushings (or what ever you call those) top and bottom on each side.
Pretty big bolts hold these to the frame. Now I have never messed with these.
Question is, can I buy new bushings and install those myself? or do I need to take the coil overs off and have them pressed in?
I guess I will jack up the frame or what?
As usual, any hints about this repair would be greatly appreciated.
Also, where might I find the parts I need, find out what brand I have and contact them? or does it matter?

Bruce

enjenjo

Yes it matters. I can think of at least three types of bushing, and you really won't know what you have until they are out.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

BFS57

Hello;
The ones inside seem to be almost totally gone! Wonder how that happened? Maybe just age but the car only has around 5K miles on it , mostly sits in the garage covered up.
I will try to get one of those off soon to look at what company's products they are.

Bruce

BFS57

Hello;
Well. . . . I discovered that the coilovers in question are AFCO! I'm not finding any info on just replacing the bushings. I don't seem to see anything displayed that you can buy just bushings.
Anyone got a source or 2??

Bruce

Fat Cat

Quote from: "BFS57"Hello;
Well. . . . I discovered that the coilovers in question are AFCO! I'm not finding any info on just replacing the bushings. I don't seem to see anything displayed that you can buy just bushings.
Anyone got a source or 2??

Bruce

I have only ever dealt with one set of Afco coils and that was an install so I have never had to replace them.

enjenjo

You might call Afco, and tell them what you need.

wayne petty

you will have to look at the thumbnails ... click on the one to the right side.. that shows the afco bushings that are used on everything except the K series shocks...

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/AFCO-Shock-End-Bearings-and-Bushings,43298.html

the direct image...

http://static.speedwaymotors.com/RS/SR/Alternative/1061000~3_L.jpg

you also might have luck with this energy suspension products..

http://www.energysuspension.com/products/Shock-Bushings.html

you will have to select a size ....

looks like you might need one or the other of these  and some local parts stores might have them in stock..

Standard hourglass shaped eye.
5/8" I.D., 1" min. O.D.,
1 1/8" max. O.D.,
1 7/16" long.
2 bushings per set.   

Standard hourglass shaped eye.
3/4" I.D.,
1" min.O.D.,
1 1/8" max. O.D., 1 7/16" long.
2 bushings per set

BFS57

Hello;
Got a hold of AFCO and have some coming my way at $15.00 ea!
I don't know about you guys but shouldn't those last longer? I'm thinking good old rubber not urethane! I can't believe that all 4 are so completely destroyed!

Bruce

enjenjo

They generally last pretty good unless they are installed on a bind, which shortens the life greatly.

BFS57

Hello;
When I looked at those, I seem to think that they should be vertically straight. The ones on my Vicky kind of lean foreword a bit probly causing the binding. Poop! Now I got to re-engineer this set up.
The bottoms are behind the rear end and the tops are in front of the lower mounting points.
Oh well, Guess i got more to do than just replace the bushings!

Bruce

Mikej

Would tightening them at right height help to keep them from binding?

UGLY OLDS

QuoteThe ones on my Vicky kind of lean foreword a bit probly causing the binding.

I would think removing, (shorting), the lower bushing spacer or adding too,(lenghtening), the upper bushing spacer will resolve this . Sometimes all it takes is a couple of thick flat washers between the shock bushing & the spacer to bring the shock back vertical .... :idea:

Bob...... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Mikej

Quote from: "Mikej"Would tightening them at right height help to keep them from binding?

Correction: At Ride Height

BFS57

Hello;
Horror Story! The PO/Builder didn't see fit to use proper mounts, They just used some kind of bolts with spacers and lock nuts to put it together all of which I can't seem to find any wrenches or sockets (that I own) to fit right so, it's off to someplace for some tools to yank this POS apart, and see if I can start over and do it right.
7/8" is too small, 13/16" is just a skosh too big!!
Bruce

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "BFS57"Hello;
7/8" is too small, 13/16" is just a skosh too big!!

Perhaps your sockets are mis-labelled.   :lol:

All of my 7/8" sockets are larger than my 13/16" sockets!

You may need to buy a METRIC adjustable wrench.   :roll:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!