Major strip job, suggestions required!

Started by Beck, August 14, 2011, 09:21:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beck

I've been knocking around with a tractor pulling gang. One of the guys is just starting the build on a tractor. The easiest way to transport these is with a semi and old moving van trailer. Yesterday he purchased a retired Mayflower moving van trailer. The huge name and some of the large striping on it is vinal. From years of sun it is baked on. The lettering is starting to split. Others have successfully stripped these trailers, but as of now we are clueless on where or how to start. We played with a heat gun last night with no luck. Is this one of the jobs that you purchase stripper by the drum instead of by the gallon? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

wayne petty

the hot air gun did not melt the vinyl ?? or loosen it so you could push it away with a plastic scraper in small sections????

i did see this product.. but have never had a need to use it..

Kleen-Strip's Aircraft Decal & Adhesive Remover removes both decals and adhesives with just one product. Is formulated to stay wet longer for use on large decals. Has an excellent vertical cling and wiill not harm cured OEM paint finishes.
EAD908 - Aircraft Decal & Adhesive Remover

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/KLS0/EAD908.oap?pt=N1833&ppt=C0090

idrivejunk

If I read this right, you want to remove the decals but not harm the paint.

Heres what I would do:

Attempt to blast it off with a pressure washer. Then-

If a heat gun and a bondo spreader doesn't do it ...

Wet with wax and grease remover and try a razor blade. Careful!

If that doesn't work (and this is where I normally end up):

Any brand of "eraser wheel" type stripe removal discs, mounted on a die grinder. They are a pencil eraser-esque material made into a disc about a half inch thick, 4" across. You will need quite a few wheels, look for a deal on 6 or 12. (I would post links but I am too new) I feel that this technique is the most effective one currently available. Keep the wheel moving and the rpm reasonable, they make a lot of heat. The mess and smoke is nasty but the eraser wheels will remove even the most stubborn remnants.

HOWEVER- two things could happen. The old paint on a trailer may not be tough enough to withstand the stripe removal wheel and you may rub through. OR, the decal may be too far gone and just refuse to come off without taking paint with it. That leaves you at, well, sandpaper and paint.

Chemical decal removers? Many are available, none I have seen do anything. Feel free to buy and try, every situation is different but I have never seen any of them work.

Hope this helps you out a little. Just speaking from experience.
Matt

enjenjo

I would go with the decal eraser. I have used them to remove old cracked vinyl decals with little to no problems.

After the decal is off there may be bits of glue and vinyl dust still there. Goo Gone works good to remove it with no damage.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

jaybee

The decal eraser works well.  I've seen it used to remove the screaming chicken from the front of an old Trans Am.  That's a lot of decal and it worked well without damaging the paint.  Those Mayflower decals are monsters, though, and you'll chew through erasers pretty quickly with that kind of acreage.  Every place I've worked at has used one of those weed burning propane torches or something similar on the really big decals.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

WZ JUNK

I have a friend who just went through the exact process for his trailer that is used for his pulling tractor.  He used oven cleaner.  I would try a small area and see how it goes on your project.  He used the cheap stuff from the dollar store.  Do not get it on your skin.

A side note.  I just talked to Hooley and Norris went 219 mph in the Studebaker truck and they are on their way to impound.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Boyd Who

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"A side note.  I just talked to Hooley and Norris went 219 mph in the Studebaker truck and they are on their way to impound.
John

Hot *!!!!!

BFS57

Hello;
First, find a supply house that supplys the vinyl for these kinds of graphics. They also carry a liquid that you spray on old decals (vinyl) no matter how old, then you use a plastic putty knife and simply scrape them off!!
I have done this to at least 3 trucks and vans at my work over the years!

Bruce