Tires

Started by alchevy, July 29, 2011, 10:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alchevy

I have been hearing rumors that soon it will be hard to find tires in the smaller sizes like what I used on my '40 Chevy street rod. I am from the old school where I used 235/70-R15 (rear) and 215/60-R15 (front). Don't like the rubberband tires.
AL
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

Topsterguy

Quote from: "alchevy"I have been hearing rumors that soon it will be hard to find tires in the smaller sizes like what I used on my '40 Chevy street rod. I am from the old school where I used 235/70-R15 (rear) and 215/60-R15 (front). Don't like the rubberband tires.
AL

Naaaaaahhhhh!  Personally I haven't heard anything like that, there seems to be lots of the "real" tires available and Coker and Diamond back have a good selection.
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

wayne petty

smaller tires are getting harder to find in some sizes... as OEMs are not using that size any more.. so the tire manufacturers are not creating them

i helped a guy search for some NPR flat low truck tires...

an odd size...   one eighty five / seventy - fifteen five...

i managed to find just a single used one...  

he ended up having them shipped in from bridgestone nz.. as they keep a few in stock..  and are willing to ship them after the check clears..

there is only one brand of  8.75-16.5 and 12.50 16.5 and Larger tires available..  no 9.50 or 10.50 16.5s... anywhere..  so.. this requires swapping on 16 inch rims from later models to get tires..  as the 8.75 versions are made of foamed rubber...  the same sole as my old work shoes that only lasted 2 months..

the 245 85 16s i have on my van now..  have less than 10 K on them and the fronts  need replacement already..  they were only 115 each... so i got what i payed for..

i needed some 14 inch tires for a friend.. and the used tire shop told me how how 14 inch tires are getting hard to come by..

Crosley.In.AZ

A co-worker just bought a 64 nova wagon. It was already a 5 lug car.  He had a few problems locating 15 inch tires for it.  235-60 on back , he got 165 R for the front runners on the car.

He bought some re-pop Ralleye wheels and early cap for the wagon.  Looks good
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

alchevy

It looks like the new car manufacturers are driving it like wayne petty said. This has gotten me to thinking what would the new camaros look like with tires and rims that were stock back in the first years of the car. It may look like some of those throw-back uniforms the nfl used that should have been thrown back!
AL
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

Rrumbler

Can you imagine a new Camaro, grin and all, on 8.00 - 14 red stripe wide ovals?  You're right, it seems that the new cars keep getting bigger, wider wheels and thinner, wider tires.  My son needed some 14 inchers for his '69 Torino some years back, and had to order them and wait a few weeks for them to find the tires; the two fronts came from one place in the midwest, one rear from New York, and the other rear from Canada.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

phat46

My daughter had to get some new 14" tires on her Cavalier and there was a very small selection available. The car is an '04...

alchevy

Quote from: "Rrumbler"Can you imagine a new Camaro, grin and all, on 8.00 - 14 red stripe wide ovals?
Like this:

www.astreetrodder.com

Rrumbler

Cool, Al, kind'a retro, not as bad as I figured.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

alchevy

Quote from: "Rrumbler"Cool, Al, kind'a retro, not as bad as I figured.
I wonder what it woud take to actually do it to a new camaro? The actual wheel well may be a bit too large.
AL

www.astreetrodder.com

kb426

My dakota has 225 75 15s. I had trouble finding tires. Most in that size are trailer stuff.
TEAM SMART

29abone

I have been looking for tires for my '56 F-100 at Tire Rack.  It is getting very hard to find good performing tires in 15" size.  I think that before long it will be extremely hard to find good tires in less than 17".  I don't like rubber band tires for my truck.  I would'nt mind going to 16" steelies, but very expensive .  Presently I am looking at Hankook  215/70x15 front and 235/75x15 rear.
Larry

The joy is in the journey.

Okiedokie

I recently bought some Michelin 225/75x15 and 185/64x15's for my 40 coupe. I was unaware of problems with these sizes. Local tire guy never said anything except he would have them in a few days. He gave me a catalog of their Cooper line that had all of the older sizes listed. I sure hope they don't become a problem because I detest the rubber band tires.