EEC/Carbon canister connections

Started by Overdrive, July 21, 2011, 10:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Overdrive

I am working on a 94 S10 donor chassis and I am having  a problem determining one of the lines function.

This unit has a square canister mounted near the gas tank.

The gas tank/fuel pump has 4 connections, fuel supply, fuel return, gas filler vent line and a line that goes to the canister.

The canister has 3 lines, labeled on the canister as tank (previously mentioned line), Purge which runs up to engine compartment and a 3rd line labeled air.

It is this 3rd line that puzzles me. What is its function, where does it connect?

Thanks

wayne petty

find the Vin number on the frame...

paste it into the first page of car fax. com.. there is a free vin check there..

gives you the exact year.. make and model with engine size...

just enough to help...  i am NOT telling you to spend any money..

but 96 and up chassis usually have the carbon canister near the fuel tank..

here is a link...

this is for a 94 S10 pickup...

http://www.compnine.com/largeimg/920630TS03-027.gif

this is the fuel tank area on a 2wd...s10...

http://www.compnine.com/index.php?u=1&year=1994&artnbr=TS03-217&artsfx=NULL&supplgroup=NULL&catcode=53S&modelcode=S&makecode=LC&modelseries=NULL&uid=1&modelid=7007&capuid=1&majorgroup=03&grouptype=B

you can search around to different years and models by clicking on the second link...

Overdrive

The vin for my donor chassis is 1GTCS14Z9RK517093
which does make it a 94.

In a case of brilliance I peeled the Service Parts Identification sticker from the glove box and kept it, so I even have all the RPO codes.

The canister is in the rear, so using your hint I browsed the newer models and got the kind of information I was looking for.

It seems to be some sort of vent, likely used to vent tank when engine is not running. There where two different options, one connecting to a valve mounted on the frame and another running up into the wheel well.
I am putting my money on the vent line attached to wheel well, sort of like the diff vent, this would explain why the hose was cut when the box was taken off.

The line has something about the size the end of my thumb on the inside of the fuel pump, I am guessing it is a valve that closes when ever any vacuum is applied fuel pump or purge and opens to vent the tank when engine is not running.

This should work well as my project involves dropping a 48 Chevy pickup body onto this frame and powering it with a 5.7L TPI injected engine.
I can use an inline purge valve and keep the canister in the rear, One less thing to clutter up the engine bay.

again  thanks); );b(

wayne petty

glad to have helped...

this is the info that you would find at car fax for free

VIN   1GTCS14Z9RK517093
Year/Make/Model:   1994 GMC SONOMA
Body Style:   PICKUP
Engine Type:    4.3L V6 FI
Manufactured In:   UNITED STATES
Search Results:   7 records found in our database

compnine is a great site for research ..