Pain in the Rearend

Started by Mikej, July 11, 2011, 11:59:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikej

Was going to Sioux City to visit ( 40) and a car show Saturday. Didn't quite make it. Rear end popped leaving a rest area just south of Sioux City. We made it another 4 or 5 miles. As we went around the off ramp a ring gear tooth must have tryed going thru the pinion. We were stuck. Daryle saved the day. Brought his trailer and we loaded it up. I think it took 200 of the 400 horses to move it but move it did. Went to the car show with Daryle and the ladies. Ate lunch on Daryle. Then he hauled Me and the wife and car home 90 miles. What a guy. Thanks Daryle.
 The wife and I pulled the center section out Sunday. This has a vet rearend. Just took a couple hours. Ring gear was broken and the carrier is split in 2. Did have oil in it. Wife said its been growling for a couple weeks. I should have listened to her. Obviously I can't hear. (or listen)
Found a place in Florida that will remanufacture it. I have to try to get the side shafts out first. The one has the posi plate wedge against it.
I'm thinking this might be caused from abuse. I'm just guessing :shock:
Other then that we had a good weekend. Will try to take a picture.

Harry

wayne petty

please.... find some rare earth magnets... find a place inside the housing for them to attach to...

they will pull any residual particles from the gear lube and keep it out of the bearings causing a repeat failure..

i get them from various sources..     allelectronics.com.... some electronic stores that have parts have them... i have even gotten them from various electric motors.. like heater fan motors..   small starter motors.. fuel pump motors..

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/MAG-114/1-DIA.-X-0.185-NEODYMIUM-MAGNET/1.html

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/MAG-115/NEODYMIUM-MAGNET-1-DIA.-X-0.125/1.html

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/MAG-134/15MM-OD-X-3MM-NEODYMIUM-MAGNET-W/4MM-HOLE/1.html

these won't move around once stuck to something steel...

Mike......Doug at Quick Performance must not have been able to help? Talked to a fellow yesterday who just got a fresh differential from Vtech Corvette.....it was a 3:55 posi unit for $850 or so.Their website is  WWW.VTECHCORVETTE.COM I've never dealt with them but this fellow seemed very happy with his experience.Not sure if that's a good price or not......it was a complete bolt-in unit.Good luck and hope you get back on the road soon!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

Mikej

I tried Tom's differential. No one answered the phone. Their price was around $1400.
Quick Performance didn't do Vet diffs. He did suggest Tom's diff.

The people in Florida answered all my questions and will rebuild for around $750. They build to different stages of performance also. Three day turn around. He wanted it as is so they can determine what caused the problem. :oops: ( I think I know) I did get the side shafts out and they are toast also.
I will check out the other site too, Daryle.

Mikej

I checked the V-Tech site quick. Their price is with a good core. Mines not so good. Add $400.

Sounds like it's time for a 9" Ford   :shock:

Mikej

I finally got my diff back . What a deal. But It looks good. Its not the one I sent them. It got lost in shipping or something. Who knows. I was just getting ready to bend over and buy a complete one. Just need to install and break it in. Hope I remember how it goes together. I have saved almost enough in gas to pay for it.....I need a stress relief run.

Glad you finally got it back! Hard to believe someone could lose something of that size/weight in shipping.....especially since they didn't ship it USPS  :P  I ordered some parts for the old Cad the other day....consecutive phone calls to two different suppliers,one in California,one in Missouri.....The stuff from CA arrived in 3 days and the order from Missouri still isn't here over a week later! Good luck and let us know when you're back on the road.

jaybee

Well, something as small as a rear end, it's probably sitting in the bottom of a mailbag somewhere.

The worst part is, Summer is gone and you were without your car for most of it.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Mikej

Its in. Doing the break in. 3 - 10 minute runs with the car jacked up and a cool down period in the middle. 20 mile drive with right and left turns to break in the posi and a cool down. That part is done. Now 200 miles and change the oil. No drain plug in this rear end so I will have to suck it out. The wife is a little sore and whiney from putting it in while I started the bolts. :shock: .......... She's a good egg. Planning on a long ride tonight.