New project

Started by enjenjo, July 06, 2011, 10:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

My buddy with a body shop sent a truck to me. A 68 to 72 Chevy stepside, chopped, sectioned, and severely modified all around. It's tubbed with 21" tires, and a serious small block in it. He just fixed the front end, it was smashed up when the brakes failed. I am fixing the brakes.

The brake pedal is under the floor. The brake pedal has an old spring eye as a pivot, and the pedal, which is outside the frame, is bent to a lever that is inside the frame, with a bellcrank welded to the other end of the pivot shaft outside the frame, also pivoting on an old spring eye welded to the frame.. There is a rod connected to this lever, about 12" long, that goes to a second bellcrank, on another spring eye, that transfers back to the inside of the frame, to a second rod about 3ft. long, to a third bellcrank that finally transfers to force to the master cylinder. All the ends on the rods have 1/2" holes, and all the pins are 3/8". The pushrod in the booster to the master cylinder was "modified" with a cutting torch. The overall pedal ratio is 2 to 1. There is no proportioning valve, no combo valve, no residual pressure valve.

I wonder why the brakes didn't work. Pics tomorrow.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

ragdol

Is the owners name Rube? Build a big motor, customize to the max, & can't do a decent job on the brakes. I'd suspect there are some other things that aren't up to spec too. Some people.

unklian

Did the same guy modify the rest of the truck ?

Charlie Chops 1940

I'm anxious to see the pics. Sounds like waving a stick in the general direction of the master cylinder might have been just as effective.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

GPster

I always wondered if you could use the pedal to work a small cylinder to operate a slave cylinder that pushed the rod on the remote mounted power brake diaphram for a normal from that point. Then I'm always behind on this new technology. There's accelerate by wire and power steer by wire, somewhere someone probably has brake by wire. I assume this is the first time you've worked on this vehicle. GPster

kb426

The brakes failed!!! No S**T!! Wow. I'm sure you'll fix it. Ought to be a good story when you're done.
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

Ok, here are some of the old brake parts. I'll post pictures of the new stuff as I make it.

jaybee

Great looking truck--from the top side.  As far as the brake system is concerned you could probably point just about anyplace and say "don't do that."  Ignoring the "workmanship" I can't help but ask--why make it so complicated?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

GPster

Quote from: "jaybee"Great looking truck--from the top side.  As far as the brake system is concerned you could probably point just about anyplace and say "don't do that."  Ignoring the "workmanship" I can't help but ask--why make it so complicated?
I would imagine that when they sectioned the cab it put the stock pedal rubbing on the floor and the power brake diaphramin the valvecover. That and with an under the floor replacement pedal they had no way to get a decent ratio because the sectioned cab brought the bottom of the dash too close to the floor. Maybe this is a place for one of those Kugel sideways-under the dash pedal set-ups. Of course we're only seeing what doesn't work. GPster

jaybee

That makes sense, and some are putting brake m/c under the floor just to get a clean firewall--but why do it with multiple pushrods and 3 bellcranks?  Way too complicated for a problem that could have been solved with a pedal, a pushrod of "some" length, a bracket to hold the booster/mc assembly, and a return spring.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

wayne petty

some forward thinking....  that might be a big help later..

i would imagine that its still going to have vacuum assist power brakes..

i recall that there is a new style hydroboost type that is self contained.. with a built in electric motor to supply hydraulic pressure for the assist...

my thought is if its vacuum assisted...  that a vacuum reserve tank is also needed.. and a few vacuum switches that operate tiny super bright LED warning light indicators on the cluster.. so he knows when there is NOT enough vacuum...

the vacuum switches are set to different pressures. to operate different colors of the LED or different LEDs.

this is all my version of a rube fix...

UGLY OLDS

Like JayBee said..... Great looking truck ....From the top... :roll:

Can we start a "What Not To Do" Tech section  :?:     ( Altho that one bracket seems to be "infinatly adjustable" ....hmmmmm :idea:  )

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

enjenjo

Here is what I have done so far. I made a brake pedal pivot out of tool steel This will be bolted to the side of the frame to support the brake pedal with four  3/8" bolts into nut plates.

I then made a new brake pedal out of 3/8" steel, with bronze bushings and a grease fitting to fit the new brake pivot. Pedal ratio is 4.6 to one. Some more work needed on the pedal, drilling for the brake pushrod, and some smoothing out. The top 2" of the pedal came off an old Chevy brake pedal. it's serrated, as is the pedal stem, to keep it from moving. I also have to add a stop bumper for the up position.

I am making a booster bracket that will bolt to the side of the frame, near the rear axle. This has a bellcrank on it that will support the end of the pushrod, and the brake booster rod, so there is no lost motion. This is also bronze bushed. The booster bracket will get some more bracing before it's done.

GPster

I don't think I could turn out work that nice even with an air conditioned shop. Is this vehicle a driver or did he damage the front end because it rolled to far foreward on the trailer? GPster

kb426

What do you use to cut parts with? Plasma, torch, laser?
TEAM SMART