Help me with a brake problem please

Started by 348tripower, July 03, 2011, 02:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

348tripower

I have my friends 55 Chevy truck here. This has been together for 18 or so years. We are fixing some problems. The big one is the brakes. This has a Nova sub frame with drums on all four corners. It has a dual resivior power master cylinder that leaks when it is filled up. It has to be run dangerously low to keep if from leaking. Anybody have any ideas on this? He does have a new pair of spindles for discs but he thinks the change will push the wheels out too far.
Thanks,
Don
Don Colliau

phat rat

Quote from: "348tripower"I have my friends 55 Chevy truck here. This has been together for 18 or so years. We are fixing some problems. The big one is the brakes. This has a Nova sub frame with drums on all four corners. It has a dual resivior power master cylinder that leaks when it is filled up. It has to be run dangerously low to keep if from leaking. Anybody have any ideas on this? He does have a new pair of spindles for discs but he thinks the change will push the wheels out too far.
Thanks,
Don

Why not a new master? The discs if it's a rear steer will move the wheels out 3/8" each side that's all. Caution I'm talking about OE spindles and discs not aftermarket
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

wayne petty

take the cap off the master....

take the rubber out of the cap...

lay the cap back on the top of the master...

does it lay flat?????

if not...  a tiny hammer and a blunt ended chisel will flatten the cap to allow it to properly seal the flat faces to the rubber seal and prevent the fluid ejected from the master bore when the pedal is depressed from leaking out...

i have run into this many times...

the caps are stamped out of much thinner metal from a poorly shaped die.. then stacked improperly.. this bends them so they don't fit totally flat letting the fluid flow over the sides..

348tripower

Wayne,
Checked the cap and it sit flat. But, the sealing surface of the cylinder looks really rough. New master tomorrow.
Jack,
Will be checking into his spindles later. He would like to put all new bushings tie rod ends ball joints etc. in this over the winter.
Thanks gang,
Don
Don Colliau