One step forward, two steps back

Started by DRD57, August 02, 2004, 01:23:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DRD57

There's no way I'm going to get the roadster roadworthy for the Bonneville trip. I'm going to drive my coupe instead. There are too many things to get done and not enough time to do them. I only have 4 evenings that I can work on it between now and then and that's not enough time to get everything done.

Besides the previously mentioned items, today I figured out that I have transmission (TH400) problems. It shudders when in reverse almost as if it can't decide if it wants to be in forward or reverse and it doesn't upshift when in drive. Park is good, neutral is good, it goes forward in 1st, 2nd, and Drive but it doesn't upshift.

So, I messed around trying to figure out what the problem was all day today and didn't get anything done on the rest of the stuff that needs to be done.  

I've been busting my butt on this thing for 2 months and the fun meter is on empty right now. When it ain't fun it's time to do something else for a few days.

See you in Louisville.

Carps

Quote from: "DRD57"There's no way I'm going to get the roadster roadworthy for the Bonneville trip.
Are you trying to make me feel better?  If so it's working.   :lol:

QuoteI'm going to drive my coupe instead.
Less risk of sunburn although you'll get just as wet if it rains.   :wink:

QuoteThere are too many things to get done and not enough time to do them. I only have 4 evenings that I can work on it between now and then and that's not enough time to get everything done.
I can relate to this too, no need to beat yourself up just coz time got away from you, time is pretty much the only constant in life and that's always going to happen.

QuoteBesides the previously mentioned items, today I figured out that I have transmission (TH400) problems. It shudders when in reverse almost as if it can't decide if it wants to be in forward or reverse and it doesn't upshift when in drive. Park is good, neutral is good, it goes forward in 1st, 2nd, and Drive but it doesn't upshift.
Hmm, kinda feeling better knowing that I can't make the run with you in the roadster.  Had a TH400 experience with Mike trans in the Chevy crapped out with no warning, en route to Bonneville in '99 (in the middle of Wyoming no less) .  For me it wasn't so bad as for Mike since he railroaded me onto a Greyhound bound for Salt Lake City.  Not such a bad experience, since the day and night spent riding the bus was also truly one of life's 'not to be missed' experiences.    :shock:  

QuoteSo, I messed around trying to figure out what the problem was all day today and didn't get anything done on the rest of the stuff that needs to be done.
Hmmm, sounds familliar.   Know any good dirt roads?  :lol:  :lol:

QuoteI've been busting my butt on this thing for 2 months and the fun meter is on empty right now. When it ain't fun it's time to do something else for a few days.
Keep this your plan and you'll live a long healthy life.  Besides tangents are a lot of fun.

QuoteSee you in Louisville.
You've managed to arrange a business trip?  I can never figure out how it happens that there's always a reason to hang around over the weekend following a tough week away from home.   :wink:

Have a great time, don't forget to send photos, so I can see what I missed out on.
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

Crosley.In.AZ

A reverse and 3rd gear problem is an indicator that there is a problem with the direct clutch pack or the oil feed to it.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

DRD57

Quote from: "Crosley"A reverse and 3rd gear problem is an indicator that there is a problem with the direct clutch pack or the oil feed to it.

Which one is the direct clutch pack? Is that the one assembled in the case?

I had  alot of trouble getting the seals in the clutch packs. Could it be a torn seal? I air checked each clutch pack and the band. Everything seemed OK there.  

Could it be a hanging valve in the valve body?

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "DRD57"
Quote from: "Crosley"A reverse and 3rd gear problem is an indicator that there is a problem with the direct clutch pack or the oil feed to it.

Which one is the direct clutch pack? Is that the one assembled in the case?

Nope, that is 2nd gear

Quote from: "DRD57"I had  alot of trouble getting the seals in the clutch packs. Could it be a torn seal? I air checked each clutch pack and the band. Everything seemed OK there.  

Could it be a hanging valve in the valve body?

===could be a torn seal , cut / broken sealing ring on the center suport the direct drum sets over.

The drum with the shaft is the forward drum ( input)...... the other drum is the direct drum

it is not the valve body unless you installed incorrectly or forgot a check ball.

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)