Cashers check advice

Started by 32coupe, May 25, 2011, 06:15:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

32coupe

Hi All
I won the Hemi I was bidding on on Ebay, and the seller wants me to pay by cashers check.

What are the procedures for doing that from over seas?

He is wanting it from a well know bank like Wells Fargo, but we don't have them over here.

Any help would be greatfull.

Cheers
Andrew
If you can\'t fix it with a hammer, you\'ve got an electrical problem

tom36

Ask if he will accept a wire transfer.  Your bank transfers money into his account electronically.Safer than a cashiers check and he gets his money like instantly.  Tom...

kb426

I don't have any good advise for you. I want to tell you a story that happened to me back in 1991. I sold the engine out of my dragster to a guy for $12,500. I met him at the agreed upon location and swapped the engine for a cashiers check drawn on a Bank of America branch. I had a friend with me who was also a racer. I told him we were about to have some fun. i went down the street in Flagstaff Az. to a local bank and tried to cash it. No deal. I went a little farther to a BOA branch. Same story. When I got home, one of the local bankers said they couldn't do that. Well, guess what? They did. No recourse. No account, no cash. If there is a chance that there is a forum member close to the engine that can be a broker for you, it would sure be great.
TEAM SMART

32coupe

There is a forum member close to him, I will see what he can do.

I did ask the guy if he would accept a transfer, let's wait and see.

Thanks Guys
Andrew

unklian

I think Ebay rules require them to accept Paypal.

parklane

I know that a lot of scammers want their money by Wells Fargo, cuz it's like cash at their end, and you have no recourse if something is fishy. Not trying to scare you, just a word of warning.
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

Charlie Chops 1940

Pay Pal through eBay is probably the safest. What's the guys feedback like? Get his phone number and invest in a call. Generally speaking sellers don't like cashiers checks because they are so easy for the buyer to cancel and they take 8-10 business days to clear the two banks involved.

eBay has went to almost 100% paypal. Sounds like you are approaching it with the due diligence that is needed.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

32coupe

It looks like I have a way to deal with this now, a forum member has put his hand up to take care of it for me.

Thanks for all the advice, I just hope I get this Hemi home safe and sound, I can't wait.

Cheers
Andrew

wayne petty

there was a fellow .. bought a 69 camaro from ebay...   used paypal...

something did not look right in the paper work...   he had it checked out.. seems the 69 had been stolen in i think 71.. 74...

the 25K was returned to him..  
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

this below is from cl..

How to recognize a vehicle scam attempt on CL:

Shipping a vehicle to you is suggested by seller
eBay Motors or another intermediary is specified by seller
Payment by Western Union or a money wire is requested
Price is unusually low (fraction of blue book value)
If you see these tell-tale signs, flag ad as "prohibited" and avoid

Offers to ship a vehicle are virtually 100% fraudulent

eBay has no involvment in craigslist for sale ads, and any eBay or similar emails or web pages you receive are fake

Never use Western Union or wire transfer to pay for goods - only a scammer will ask for this, and any funds sent will be lost

Do not buy vehicles site-unseen, regardless of low price. The vehicle does not exist, and any money you send will be lost.

Stories about divorcees or departing servicemen needing to sell quickly at a low price are generally fraudulent

If a deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is!

More information is available for avoiding scams.

You can sidestep would-be scammers by following these common-sense rules:

DEAL LOCALLY WITH FOLKS YOU CAN MEET IN PERSON - follow this one rule and avoid 99% of scam attempts on craigslist.
NEVER WIRE FUNDS VIA WESTERN UNION, MONEYGRAM or any other wire service - anyone who asks you to do so is a scammer.
FAKE CASHIER CHECKS & MONEY ORDERS ARE COMMON, and BANKS WILL CASH THEM AND THEN HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE when the fake is discovered weeks later.
CRAIGSLIST IS NOT INVOLVED IN ANY TRANSACTION, and does not handle payments, guarantee transactions, provide escrow services, or offer "buyer protection" or "seller certification"
NEVER GIVE OUT FINANCIAL INFORMATION (bank account number, social security number, eBay/PayPal info, etc.)
AVOID DEALS INVOLVING SHIPPING OR ESCROW SERVICES and know that ONLY A SCAMMER WILL "GUARANTEE" YOUR TRANSACTION.
DO NOT RENT HOUSING WITHOUT SEEING THE INTERIOR, OR PURCHASE EXPENSIVE ITEMS SIGHT-UNSEEN - in all likelihood that housing unit is not actually for rent and that cheap item does not exist.
DO NOT SUBMIT TO CREDIT CHECKS OR BACKGROUND CHECKS FOR A JOB OR FOR HOUSING UNTIL YOU HAVE MET THE INTERVIEWER OR LANDLORD/AGENT IN PERSON.
Who should I notify about fraud or scam attempts?

U.S. Federal

Internet Fraud Complaint Center
FTC Video: How to report scams to the FTC
FTC online complaint form
FTC toll free hotline: 877-FTC-HELP (877-382-4357)
Consumer Sentinel/Military (for reports from services members or their families)
SIIA Software and Content Piracy reporting
resources for Ohio residents

Ohio Attorney General Consumer Complaints
Canada

Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre or 888-495-8501 (toll-free)
RCMP
If you are defrauded by someone you met in person, contact your local police department.

If you suspect that a craigslist post may be part of a scam, please send us the details

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

oh... and i had a friend who sold his motorcycle and accepted money orders or travelers checks...   Months later.. the bank withdrew the money  from that deposit from his account..   the buyer had reported them stolen..    since he did not have the buyers name..  the buyers info..   or even copies of the travelers checks...  he was just out of luck..
he even went to DMV to try to find the current owner of the motorcycle..   it had been transfered several times in the mean time..

HotRodLadyCrusr

A bank wire transfer from Australia costs me the accepter $50 which the guy in Australia that bought my other '47 olds covertible gladly paid.  Bank wire transfer are extremely safe.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

unklian

Quote from: "parklane"
a lot of scammers want their money by Wells Fargo,

Or Western Union, same idea.