Stewart Warner Tachometer Sender Help

Started by Canuck, May 20, 2011, 02:20:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canuck

I recently scored a NOS Stewart Warner D755J tachometer for my coupe.  A perfect match with the rest of the 60s vintage gauges in the dash.  From the codes on the tach, I know it was made in Aprel 1966.  The new ones don't look right.

What I don't know is what sender is required for it?????

I have found out that the wiring connection on the tach (silver and brass stud) is the same as on a Model 765 tach used on 63-4 Stude Hawks and they used a Model 766 sender hooked between the coil and distributor.  These do show up on e-bay and are also available thru the aftermarket for the Stude guys.

Those Stude guys are fanatics, even publishing on the WEB the testing proceedures for the tach and sender and how to rebuild (build ??) the sender.

So the other question is,  Would a 766 sender work with my 755 Tach?

Anyone with knowledge of these old tachs, your help with information would be greatly appreciated, I am starting to run dry on information sources.  E-mails have been sent to Speedometer Solution (refered to them, reply still pending) and to Stewart Warner (their Customer Assistance E-mail address in their web site is invalid).  :roll:

Also if anyone has a sender for this tach in their surplus bin, that would be appreciated as well.  :D

Thanks for any help.

Canuck
My 30 Coupe build, with a Nailhead and fenders
  UPDATED JUNE 26, 2017
http://chevelle406.wordpress.com/

kb426

I wish I could help. I had one of those new. Do I need to tell you about my memory?  :)
TEAM SMART

river1

Quote from: "kb426"Do I need to tell you about my memory?  :)

only if you can remember :D  :D  :D
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Canuck

Found all the data on the sender require as well as testing and repair procedures.

Thanks guys
My 30 Coupe build, with a Nailhead and fenders
  UPDATED JUNE 26, 2017
http://chevelle406.wordpress.com/