Double D steering joints

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, May 05, 2011, 12:03:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

In the past , I have used double D steering joints that clamp with set screw and nuts on to the shafts....  

hook up  from steering column to the box.

Same process is popular today or tack weld them ?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

tomslik

IF i had to buy new ones, i'd get the pinch bolt type...
whatcha needing?
got a few new flaming river ones left over from the "old" days...
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "tomslik"IF i had to buy new ones, i'd get the pinch bolt type...
whatcha needing?
got a few new flaming river ones left over from the "old" days...

I will need a double D  u joint of the 3/4 inch size.  I would use a drill motor and drill a small recess for the set screw to set into.

I have a Vega box spline  joint that is 3/4 round open on other end.  I was gonna weld that one on to the 3/4 Double D shaft
Tony

GPster

Why don't you have someone with a mill (neater than a grinder) put the Double D pattern on one end of a 3/4" shaft to keep from welding on one side of a U joint? GPster

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "GPster"Why don't you have someone with a mill (neater than a grinder) put the Double D pattern on one end of a 3/4" shaft to keep from welding on one side of a U joint? GPster

the Vega spline u-joint is designed to be welded on to a round 3/4 inch diameter shaft.  I am using a 3/4 double D shaft, so I will weld the U-joint with the round hole onto the double D shaft.

or , drill n tap the u-joint for a couple set screws
Tony

57larry

we always put a tack weld on them just to be safe

chimp koose

Why not take the shaft out of a steering column ,cut it to length,use the factory DD end and machine the other end for a light press fit into the 3/4" round u-joint for perfect alignment and then set screw and tack weld it.I would not weld a DD shaft into a round hole. This is assuming you are using 2 u-joints.

Crosley.In.AZ

I have a column with the double D end on the shaft.  I have the double D U-joint.  I have the double D shaft.

The Vega steering box U-joint is an item I've had for 10 yrs or more.  I wanted to use that since new quality  U-joints can cost 75 bucks.

I was also curious if the set screws were thought of as enough retaining method or if a tack weld was advised too?
Tony

enjenjo

I have never had a problem with the set screw attachment. I do dimple the shaft. I would not depend on a set screw on a round shaft.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat rat

Tony, how many joints is this going to have? It' always nice to be able to use what you have in stock, but that doesn't mean it's always the wisest
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "phat rat"Tony, how many joints is this going to have? It' always nice to be able to use what you have in stock, but that doesn't mean it's always the wisest

2 u-joints in the system from the column end   down to the steering box
Tony