mig welder opinions

Started by phat rat, April 22, 2011, 07:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

QuoteMy stick welder is a Monkey Wards from the early 70's. It's probably been 5-10 years since I used it but it still worked fine then.

I still have mine too. Monkey Wards welders were made by Century. Mine is a 250 amp AC/DC/DC reverse. I still break it out for heavy welding.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat rat

Ugly Olds, my torch set is from 63 and still works great
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

GPster

My "buzz Box" is an old, used Craftsman that was given to 35 years ago. The guy had thought he burned it up while he was "Z"ing the frame on a school bus. A set of contacts and cables and I've used it since. I've got a Lincold wire feed welder that I bought at Sam's Club about 15 years ago. It's still brand new and in the original box. I had the instructions out to look at them and my dog schredded them but left the ones printed in English alone. I probably should learn how to use it. GPster

Carnut

Heh, heh, both my Lincoln and Craftsman Torch set are 1968.

I was just musing the other day looking at my 'old hoses' and patina-ed torch how old they looked for having been bought brand new.

Then I thought back to 65 when I was apprenticing in a garage and how old the torch set looked in the garage, I remember thinking that he must have had the oldest set in existence. Now to think about it my set at 40+ yrs old is probably older than his was at the time. Oh well such is life.

Also remember the shop truck was a really ancient 48 Chevy pickup. How could any business do with an almost 20yr old truck?

river1

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"My Lincoln "Tombstone"  is from 1963...

Quote from: "phat rat"Ugly Olds, my torch set is from 63 and still works great

and here i am, i was born in 63 :roll:  :roll:

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Carnut

Oops, my memory is bad, I was serving Uncle Sam in 1968, my stuff is 1970.

phat rat

Quote from: "river1"

later jim

So you're saying you're just a pup? :lol:

river1

Quote from: "phat rat"

later jim

So you're saying you're just a pup? :lol:

yup or should i say WOOF!!

papastoyss

I bought  Lincoln 180 C 2.5 yrs ago & am well pleased with it. The reostat heat control really helps when welding sheet metal.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

UGLY OLDS

Quoteand here i am, i was born in 63 :roll:  :roll:

later jim

BUT ..... :!:    Are YOU still Arcin' & Sparkin' & Shootin' Flame   :?:  :?:  :P

Bob ..... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

river1

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"

Quoteand here i am, i was born in 63 :roll:  :roll:

later jim

BUT .....Are YOU still Shootin' Flame   :?:  :?:  :P

Bob ..... :wink:

after a bit of GOOD mexican food YUP!!!

Beck

I also have the Miller 210. It fried the main board about a year after I bought it. It was repaired under warranty. I've had no problems since them.
Were going to buy new TIG/stick machines at work. They are leaning toward the Lincoln for that application.

phat rat

Update. It looks as though maybe I've found the cause for my frustration the drive roller was worn. Last week when I started having problems I checked into buying a new liner and was told it was obsolete. Then today I was told a coupler more parts were also obsolete. I talked with the welding supplier to get their best price then went to the other supplier after he gave me his price I mentioned my frustration about the obsolete parts. He asked me which ones.then started checking. Well this guy really knew what he was doing and was able to tell me that all the parts were still available. So as long as the parts he ordered fix my problem I won't be buying a new welder right away. My biggest problem in deciding was that I knew the Miller 180C was comparable to my Esab but what I really wanted was the Miller 212 which was $700 more. Thanks for all the input