mig welder opinions

Started by phat rat, April 22, 2011, 07:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat rat

I'm figuring on buying a new mig welder. The choices are Lincoln or Miller. I was at the LWS today and it sells both. The guy there, a long time employee, says that the Lincoln in his opinion is as good as the Miller. Any thoughts? Especially if you've bought one in the last couple of years. If you have, any problems? If so what kind and how was it handled? They have the same warranty.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Crosley.In.AZ

both brands are quality units.  Features and price point would need a look at.

At work we do a lot of welding in the torque converter -transmittin business.

All migs are Miller,  all tigs are Lincoln  with  water cooled torch

I have a 110 volt Lincoln mig welder for 15+ yrs..  only replaced the cheap gun and hose setup abput 6 yrs ago.

I have a Miller 210 mig welder 220 volt.  Works very well for 8yr now
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

phat rat

Another up for consideration is Esab. The one I'm replacing is a 14 year old Esab.

river1

another you could look at is Hobart, they are owned by the same company as Miller and is similar quality.

my personal choice would be Miller. i have a Miller mig and tig and have been very happy with them. one of the main reasons i like Miller is they are assembled in America which is important to me.

that said take a look around your area and find out which is the most common. the brand that is most common in your area will be the easiest one to get service for, if needed.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

taxpyer

If you haven't gotten an electronic helmet yet go nuts and treat yourself. Man are they nice. Bought a Miller and I really like it alot. :wink:
What\'s that noise?,,, Never mind,, I\'ll check it later

Rochie

Phat Rat,
try this company.  I got a great deal on my Miller 180 a couple of years ago.
http://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com/servlet/the-MIG-WELDERS-cln-Miller/Categories

Rrumbler

No recent experience to offer, I am reduced to my little Miller MaxStar TIG/Stick, but if I were to be looking, I'd find some of the newer high tech offerings that are coming on the market lately to be quite interesting; I get some e-mails from time to time about a new Toshiba 3 process machine, and there are some similar 3 and 4 process items out there.  This seems to be the new wave, for want of a better phrase; multi-process isn't new, but smaller sized small shop oriented machines are.  The ones that appeal to me are those with MIG, TIG, Stick, and Plasma cutting all in one, and about the same size as a 200 amp MIG.  As far as Miller vs. Lincoln, as a friend used to say, and now I use the phrase all the time: "You pays your nickel and you takes your pickle."  Pretty much a toss up in the real world; I'd give Miller an extra lean for their "Auto Set" system and multi-voltage capability, but for an experienced welder, there should be little difference from one to the other.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

enjenjo

Having owned both, I prefer the Miller. A 210 is an unbeatable machine.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat rat

They no longer have a 210. The small carry type needing a cart are 180 auto-set and 211 auto-set. Then the first with it's own wheels is the 212 auto-set.
I've never needed more than what I have with my Esab 180 but am undecided between staying at 180, cost w/nice cart $1098, the 211 cost w/nice cart $1311 or spending $1754 for the  212 just to have one with it's own wheels. I haven't talked turkey with them yet, these are  the out the door prices I was quoted yesterday. From what I find on the net I really can't save much by the time shipping is figured in nor what I can probably get them down to. We have two dealers here in town and I'll work between the two. I would rather deal with the one I get all my supplies from.
Lincoln has a rebate sale thing going on. A 180C w/nice cart out the door with rebate $924 and the 216 price OTD w/rebate $1596

Crosley.In.AZ

I do not see where you would go wrong on th e  main name manufactures.  Features and price points with service availiblity would be the questions

I have a Miller 180 amp arc welder I bought in 1974 or 75.  Not used in years,  But I imagine it would still burn a stick or 3
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

river1

if you can wait for a while find out when they are having an event in your area. they normally will drop the prices a bit during them.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

chimp koose

I have had a miller 210 for 6 yrs no problems. I like the duty cycle, and I like dials instead of LEDs.

Charlie Chops 1940

I have a 210 and it has been an excellent machine. The operator sets the parameters. I prefer that method although I haven't tried an auto-set machine.

It looks like the 212 is closest to replacing a 210 I would want to try one on a variety of gauges to see how well it works.

Looks to me like they have really cheapened up the bottom of the line.

My first machine was a Lincoln branded as something else - can't remember now. It was a 220V 160 amp and welded everything I ever wanted. I replaced it with the 210 Miller as it was on year end sale with a somewhat useless spool-on wand for aluminum. I since went with a Lincoln TIG unit for that work.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

phat rat

Quote from: "river1"if you can wait for a while find out when they are having an event in your area. they normally will drop the prices a bit during them.

later jim

I called Miller late yesterday afternoon and got an idea of what they would approximately go for at a show. I'm going to use that in dealing here. I've been a customer at the one welding place since the early 60's so maybe that will help. If I decide to wait a bit I can check at the NSRA Mid America show on Memorial Day week-end.

Crosley, you mentioned your Miller stick from the 70's.  My stick welder is a Monkey Wards from the early 70's. It's probably been 5-10 years since I used it but it still worked fine then.

UGLY OLDS

QuoteCrosley, you mentioned your Miller stick from the 70's.  My stick welder is a Monkey Wards from the early 70's. It's probably been 5-10 years since I used it but it still worked fine then.
[/quote]

Gee ...you guy's have "Late Model " stuff ... :shock:    

My Lincoln "Tombstone"  is from 1963...
My "Marquette" brand torchs & regulators are from 1968....

Both are still in service daily as needed...

Marquette got bought out by somebody & they dropped the complete line .. It's a shame .... The torch is a "Lite-Jet" .....Approx 11" long with the tip attached ...PERFECT for sheet metal work ....

Bob .....  :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****