Color?

Started by GPster, April 21, 2011, 09:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

Dumb question of the day. Can you tell anything by color? When we first started the Crosley project some different engines were discussed. On the list was International truck engines that might fall in the "Vintage" classification. International's sixes are labled as "BlueDiamond", "Black Diamomd" and "Red Diamond". The "Red Diamond" ones starting at 372cu. in. and going larger than that. A guy in another site I visit has an International engine out of a '51 pick up truck for sale and I didn't care about it until I looked at the picture. It has a red valve cover. Of course valve covers are easy to paint but the engine and it's surroundings appear stock for it's age ('51) and further looks at the pictures looks like the block is red too. Was the "Red Diamond" engine ever put in pick ups? Is there an easy way to identify one? This guy just wants an empty engine compartment for an engine swap and the piece is priced accordingly. It's also close enough that distance doesn't stop me from having ideas. GPster

enjenjo

The color in the name, and on the engine, tell the engine series. A red diamond in a pickup of that era is possible, but is probably the 233 ci version.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

taxpyer

Hey bud,,,,,,,,,,,,,, hows that jeep project doing? :wink:
What\'s that noise?,,, Never mind,, I\'ll check it later

GPster

Quote from: "taxpyer"Hey bud,,,,,,,,,,,,,, hows that jeep project doing? :wink:
Just because it had plates on it and was driven on the street was not an indication it should have been. I should have seen it as a parts donor for a "Mudder". When I was working on the brakes I found that all of the parking brake mechanism had been removed from the rear end and the hydralic line to the rear brakes had been plugged at the master cylinder. Getting into the rear brakes I decided that it would be best to change all the rear brake parts. While installing new lines I found the breather line for the rear end housing had been broken off. With the vehicle's frame rails packed full of mud there is no question that the rear end has been under water so a gear inspection is in order. Looking for interchanges and replacement parts is coming to a close but it's not done yet. While it's up on jack stands I moved to the front end to change that pair of shackles to get it down for the 31" tires. The main leaf on one side had a terrible kink in it so I pulled the spring off/apart to beat it back in shape. The long tie rod end for the drag link was iffy so I ordered one. The other end appeared OK and I had an early Ford replacement if I needed. Taking the drag link off the pittman arm put me in the position to notice the sway bar frame mount rubber was bad. Nobody local has one and Moog shows it as the pair For over $35.00 for the two $3.99 rubber pieces. So when I order it from a 4X4 place I might as well get the gaskets for the front and rear axels to save on shipping. This was only supposed to be a project that I could work on a little and drive/enjoy .Like a late model "Roadster". It's begining to look like I'd better find a snow plow for it so when I finally get it running it can start earning it's keep as a pay-back. GPster