GM trivia question

Started by Land Yacht, July 31, 2004, 12:31:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Land Yacht

I am wondering if anyone knows the first years when dual masters, power steering, power brakes, and front discs became optional, I imagine the vette was ahead by a few years but what about Impala, Chevelle, Nova?

john
1965 Impala SS 283/250 -sold- :(
1977 Chevy Caprice -totaled 2005 :(

1999 Chevy S-10 ZR2  Bacon Getter

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Bob Paulin

As long as we're playing trivia......

Who knows when the first version of GM's H.E.I. (High Energy Ignition) appeared?

Hint....It wasn't called H.E.I. at the time.....

....and it might take someone from the "Boomer" generation to know the answer.

Bob Paulin
"Cheating only means you really care about winning" - Red Green

Ralph

Quote from: "Bob Paulin"
Who knows when the first version of GM's H.E.I. (High Energy Ignition) appeared?

Bob Paulin

I know! I know! 74 Cadillac! Right! Right?Isn't it?
Ralph
Manitoba Street Rod Association
http://www.msra.mb.ca/

Bob Paulin

Quote from: "Ralph"
Quote from: "Bob Paulin"

Bob Paulin

I know! I know! 74 Cadillac! Right! Right?Isn't it?
Ralph

In the language of the old kids' game "hot-and-cold", you're cold, man.

Bonus points if someone can also give me the original name....

Bob Paulin

Dave

Quote from: "Land Yacht"I am wondering if anyone knows the first years when dual masters, power steering, power brakes, and front discs became optional, I imagine the vette was ahead by a few years but what about Impala, Chevelle, Nova?

Ok i watching speed the other night and remember cause it was a rerun they asked who invented the cruise control. I wont list the possible answers here but does anyone remember the right answer  ?????????????They gave a list of possibles and i guessed it right the first time  by picking the lease likely answer..
Dave

OldSub

Quote from: "Bob Paulin"Who knows when the first version of GM's H.E.I. (High Energy Ignition) appeared?

My '72 Chevy pickup came with points, my '75 (long gone) had HEI.  I'm thinking a friend who bought a brand new Blazer in '73 or '74 had HEI and wanted to get rid of it ASAP.

My '61 Buick nailhead (long gone) was points and the late 60's Buick 425 sitting in my buddy's yard is points.

Did Oldsmobile or Buick use it first?  In '71 or '72?  That feels right, but I really don't know.

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com

Carps

Quote from: "Land Yacht"I am wondering if anyone knows the first years when dual masters, power steering, power brakes, and front discs became optional, I imagine the vette was ahead by a few years but what about Impala, Chevelle, Nova?

Wasn't Ford the first to do this?

Oh no, Volvo was not yet part of Ford back then.

My sarcasm here is the result of recently reading a list of Ford developed and initiated 'Industry Firsts' including all those things done by companies recently purchased by FOMOCO.   :wink:
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

river1

Quote from: "Bob Paulin"As long as we're playing trivia......

Hint....It wasn't called H.E.I. at the time.....

....and it might take someone from the "Boomer" generation to know the answer.

Bob Paulin

Ultra High Voltage (UHV) system

in the olds line

em i right

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

enjenjo

Quote from: "Carps"

Wasn't Ford the first to do this?

Oh no, Volvo was not yet part of Ford back then.

My sarcasm here is the result of recently reading a list of Ford developed and initiated 'Industry Firsts' including all those things done by companies recently purchased by FOMOCO.   :wink:

If you want to get technical, the first American production car available with disc brakes, was the 51 Chrysler, Kinmont discs were optional on some models. They were originally intended for standard equipment on the Tucker, but you all know that story. First modern type disc brakes on an American production car was the 61 Studebaker GT Hawk. Bendix discs, similar to what Ford used later, after AMC made them optional in 64.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"If you want to get technical, the first American production car available with disc brakes, was the 51 Chrysler, Kinmont discs were optional on some models. They were originally intended for standard equipment on the Tucker, but you all know that story. First modern type disc brakes on an American production car was the 61 Studebaker GT Hawk. Bendix discs, similar to what Ford used later, after AMC made them optional in 64.

Crosleys had 4 wheel disc brakes in 1949.  My 47 sedan has what looks like a retro-fit kit on it.  Factory looking parts and brackets.  47 Crosleys had mechanical brakes

They have a very odd caliper on them
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

Forgot all about them Tony, and I looked at some a couple weeks ago. I saw a crosley a couple years ago that had Chevette Disc brakes adapted to it. Looked like a fairly easy swap.

Bob Paulin

Quote from: "river1"

Ultra High Voltage (UHV) system

in the olds line

em i right

later jim

You're a little bit closer, but it was the 1956 Corvette.

The system was then known as the "Mag-Pulse Ignition" system, and the early HEIs of the mid-'70s closely resembled the Mag-Pulse.

I don't know if Enjenjo is old enough, but I recall taking at least two of these out and replacing them with Mallory dual-point distributors because nobody understood their operation, and GM was of no help whatsoever, so our only option when they ceased operation was to replace them.

Now, how about the first PCV Valve?

Hint....it pre-dates the 1951 Chrysler disc brakes.....which I believe actually went back to 1949.

If you have a Motor's Manual from that era, you should be able to find it.

Bob Paulin

enjenjo

How about the first Factory turn signals? First Factory Air Conditioner?

purplepickup

Quote from: "enjenjo"How about the first Factory turn signals? First Factory Air Conditioner?
I don't know when the first air conditioner was made but when I was going thru cars at Doc's junk yard, I ran across a couple of Nash's with air conditioning.  One was an early 50's and the other was probably late 30s or early 40s.  I don't know if they were a version of the modern systems or maybe just a marketing name for a fresh air system. The VIN tags said Nash-Kelvinator so I think there is a connection.

I didn't do a google search which I figure is kind of cheating for trivia questions so this is just a guess......my final answer is Nash had the first airconditioning but I don't know when.

....now it's back to the garage.... :D
George