My 70 401 build

Started by fast401, April 03, 2011, 07:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fast401

I am in the process of rebuilding my 401.  I ran this engine hard for 32 years and I had a piston ring land let go last August just 5 days before the International AMC show in detroit.  The 401 is at the machine shop now and the heads are being ported. The block will be 30 over with 10.2-1 pistons and a Isky 280HL cam.  The plan is to dyno when done and I will post the numbers which I hope are pretty good.  The plan is to have this thing back together by the end of May.
Disturbing the peace since 1970!!!!!

enjenjo

So should I say something insulting here like I would to your face, or should I be nice?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

fast401

Quote from: "enjenjo"So should I say something insulting here like I would to your face, or should I be nice?

I expect a jab from you.  If you didn't I would think somthin was wrong with you!!!!!!
Disturbing the peace since 1970!!!!!

enjenjo

You going to use this to start a real engine? Maybe a slant six? Not enough there to start a Hemi. :roll:

Rrumbler

I had a buddy way years ago who had an AMX with a warmed up 401 in it; that sucker would almost run standing on it's back feet.  Once in a while, when conditions were right, he'd get both front tires off the ground a bit.  T'was a fun ride.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

phat rat

Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

tomslik

Quote from: "phat rat"Ithought a 401 Buick

me too at first, then i found out he had class;)
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

kb426

I hope the AMC disease hasn't removed his sense of humor. :D
TEAM SMART

river1

Quote from: "kb426"I hope the AMC disease hasn't removed his sense of humor. :D

can you own an AMC without one?

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

GPster

For all you guys that want to join in with this group there is a '66 Rambler Rebel for sale in our local Bulletin Board. Don't know anything about the options but the seller says it has a factory installed Chevy 327, a TH400 and an 8 3/4" rear end. He claims it's a daily driver and is original with 65,000 miles. He wants $6,500.00 O.B.O. The ad has a West Virginia phone number and this ad came out for the first time last Thursday. . So much for two finger one eye typing. GPster

enjenjo

Which group would that be Joe? The RRT? The AMC owners? The sense of humor group? The West Virginians?

Charlie Chops 1940

Quote from: "GPster"For all you guys that want to join in with this group there is a '66 Rambler Rebel for sale in our local Bulletin Board. Don't know anything about the options but the seller says it has a factory installed Chevy 327, a TH400 and an 8 3/4" rear end. He claims it's a daily driver and is original with 65,000 miles. He wants $6,500.00 O.B.O. The ad has a West Virginia phone number and this ad came out for the first time last Thursday. . So much for two finger one eye typing. GPster

Beep, beep, the fact meter just went off - Rambler had their own 327 V8 but I don't recall how long they used it. They also bought some steering components from GM and Chrysler, but I don't believe they bought small block chevy engines. My guess is that the seller is wrong and/or someone did a swap.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Carnut

Yeah, the AMC 327 was from 57 thru 66.

32coupe

Just to add to the AMC family feel around here right now, I'm fitting Propane to the son in law's Rambler at the moment.

It's the only way to get it to run good enough to drive it, runs like * on gas. :wink:
If you can\'t fix it with a hammer, you\'ve got an electrical problem

GPster

Today is the day the new edition of the Bulletin Board comes out . We'll see if the ad is worded correctly . I knew that Rambler made a 327" but the one I knew of was a '58. I had thought that the smaller Rambler V8s of the early '60s were of a new design and the early engines had been phased out by '66. Some time the ads here are more written to attract people with more money than sense.Like everything (excepy a Jeepster) thrown on an S10 chassis is a "Rat Rod". I'll have Linda read me the ad tonight. GPster