lathe questions

Started by river1, March 19, 2011, 11:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

river1

i'm possibly going to look at a lathe tommorow, if the first buyer doesn't show i'm next. not much info at this point but from what i can find online it looks to be a Logan. the price is 500 to 800 depending on what comes with it.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/tls/2274312996.html

what should i look for that would be a deal breaker? wear points?

thanks jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

enjenjo

That is an older one. It looks to be a gear change lathe, if it is, make sure the change gears come with it. It has a pretty short bed, which generally lowers the price. Not hard to find tooling and parts for, most Logan and South Bend stuff interchanges.

As for wear, check the ways, the part the cross slide moves on for excessive wear, check for backlash in the crossfeed screw, check the tool holder for looseness, check the split nut works properly. With care most problems can be overcome with care, or adjusted out. None of these are deal breakers, but should be reflected in the price.

Even if it costs more, get every thing you can. Even if you don't use it, you can sell it, or trade for stuff you do want. And it's almost always cheaper than buying it seperate.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

river1

good info THANKS FRANK

i'll post tomorrow how it goes

later jim

kb426

I sure wish I had that mill in my garage.
TEAM SMART

river1

Quote from: "kb426"I sure wish I had that mill in my garage.

me too!! it was already sold when i called the first time.

the first guy bought the lathe so i didn't get it :cry:

oh well i'll keep looking :D

later jim