need help, wireing electric fuel pump

Started by 48ford, March 13, 2011, 09:34:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48ford

Hi Guys,
I,m not sure how to do this.
I want my fuel pump to shut off if The motor dies(I will use a oil pressure switch that will open if I don't have oil pressure)
But how will I get this thing started without cranking the thing over till I get oil pressure to close the switch?
Thanks guys
russ

enjenjo

You need a Vega fuel pump switch, ACDelco G1809 . Also used on Rivieras and other models. There are three terminals, one for power, one to the pump, and the third connected to the starter circuit. When you crank it, the starter circuit will run the pump, while running it will get power from the power terminal. No oil pressure, it will shut off.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

wayne petty

could be done like this also... just as shown above...

this article has nice diagrams... this takes the load off the oil pump pressure switch.. so it will last much longer...   it does make it more complicated..

one could also wire in one of the ford inertia switches to cut off fuel pump power... with an easy way to reset...

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_9903_how_to_wire_cooling_fans_headlights_fuel_pumps_voltmeters/gm_wiring_diagrams.html

there are also a few different ways to make this work...

enjenjo

Well sure, if you want to do it right :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :wink:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

wayne petty

i was just trying to RELAY some additional ideas...  

my additional explanations and clarifications are mostly intended as there are many rodders who read each thread... improving and expanding their knowledge of how it all works...  and make their rods reliable...

its only fun to push your hotrod, when there is a fresh motor hanging from the rafters ready to drop it in..

i did not go as far as posting my ideas of putting a DPST switch [ON- ON] or [ON - ON Momentary} the wired into the volt meter so you could monitor the fuel pump voltage supply..  i just figured they might run a green pilot light on the that circuit.  Green to know the liquid cash is flowing ...

48ford

Thank guys.
I was having a brain fart.
This is just what I needed.
Russ

Jokester

I used a similar setup for my electric choke.  It won't heat the choke element until the oil pressure comes up.  That way you can do other stuff with key on/engine off without heating up the choke.

my 2 cents.

.bjb
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.

38HAULR

There is another device.
LPG installations here are mandated to have an ignition activity control box. to keep the gas lock offs open during run,but shut down should the vehicle be involved in a serious collision.
This is connected to the ignition coil primary on the distributor side.
If You switch ign "on" and do nothing it stays on for 5 seconds and cuts out.
It stays on during cranking and engine run.feeding on pulses
I have used these for electric fuel pumps.
The beauty is that you can prime the carby before even turning over a vehicle with a marginal battery.
Frank.