Belly Tank Project

Started by DRD57, March 06, 2011, 07:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DRD57

My nephew is doing a report for school on Utah and he asked me if I knew where he could get a streamliner model for part of his display.
I told him no but, we could make him a lakester model from stuff I had on hand.
We started with two of my steel teardrop blisters trimmed about an inch around the actual formed blister.
For the bottom half we cut about an inch of height off to get it to sit lower. Then we filled the hole with a piece of flat 18 gauge steel.
The wheels are just some cheap casters and the axles are quarter inch rod threaded on the ends so two nylock nuts can capture each wheel.
We may add a few details like a cage and a helmet fairing the next time he comes over to work on it.

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

TEAM SMART

river1

Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

unklian

Pretty sweet.

If he still wants a streamliner, Jimmy Flintstone has the Summers Brothers 'liner is resin.

DRD57

My brother and nephew came over Saturday to finish this thing up. About all my nephew was good for was sanding a little bit and watching his dad and me finish it up. I tried to get him to spray the paint on it but, the kid couldn't quite get the coordination down to use the spray bombs. I guess that's a good thing, we don't have to worry about him tagging the neighborhood.

We added a helmet fairing and a brake line roll bar before spraying some paint on it. Then we got the idea to make some hub caps for it. We cut them out with a 3 1/2" hole saw and then chucked them in a drill with  a bolt through the center to sand the "spun" finish on them. The center of the wheels sticks out farther than the edge so we put the caps in the press to give them enough dish to meet the edge of the wheel.

I hope I get an "A" from the teacher.

Boyd Who

Very cool! Maybe some day your nephew will get the bug to do real car stuff.

Grandadeo

Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50