Weld joints

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, February 12, 2011, 01:07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

i bought a pair of adjustable  suspension links.  Took over 1 month to get them

The welds look real nice.  Not sure they are mig welds,  yet do not look like tig welds.

see photos
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

unklian

Looks like TIG to make.

Nicely done.

tomslik

Quote from: "unklian"Looks like TIG to me.

Nicely done.

me too..
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

enjenjo

If the moon is right, I can do a MIG weld that looks that good, but I agree, probably TIG.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

tomslik

Quote from: "enjenjo"If the moon is right, I can do a MIG weld that looks that good, but I agree, probably TIG.

"moon"? :)(
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Charlie Chops 1940

Welding "black arts", huh Frank?

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

enjenjo

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"Welding "black arts", huh Frank?

Charlie

Some days it works, and other days you might just as well go back in the house. The only thing I can figure is the moon.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat46

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"Welding "black arts", huh Frank?

Charlie

Some days it works, and other days you might just as well go back in the house. The only thing I can figure is the moon.

My Dad would say "You're not holdimg your mouth right"...

Glen

Did you ever stop by SDHQ over on Elliott?  They have a great selection of that stuff on the shelves

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Glen"Did you ever stop by SDHQ over on Elliott?  They have a great selection of that stuff on the shelves

yep, been to Super Duty, will need to get a few brackets from them.  Took notes, talked to the counter help.

These suspension  link  welds fooled me.. the tight pattern of the welds,  I was not sure they were tig welds.

For the price I paid for these suspension links , it was smarter to buy than build.  I can not weld like that if the moon that circles the earth is in the sky or not
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

chimp koose

2rods

unklian

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Some days it works, and other days you might just as well
go back in the house. The only thing I can figure is the moon.

I think the technique is called "Spray Transfer".

Old Blue

Those are properly done TIG welds. A TIG weld done right is solid and smooth with clean straight edges and a very tight ripple pattern.

I know, being a pressure vessel and pressure piping TIG welder.

The popular stack of dimes type TIG weld is very far from ideal and is less than strong as it leads to stress risers (notch effect) along the edges of the weld where the edge is scalloped due to the widely spaced circular ripples.

That style of TIG weld (stack of dimes) is visually appealing and that's about it.

And those welds were not done with spray transfer either.

rog

Tig, definately. looks like they're done hot & fast, which is about right on the material thickness.. you can tell by how close the overlapping ripples are, and the HAZ around the weld..