Are aluminum water pumps worth the extra cost

Started by Beck, February 02, 2011, 03:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beck

The water pump on my new project is shot. My debate now is do I spend the extra bucks for an aluminum one or just go to the local parts store and buy another cast iron one?

I had been shopping for 69 to 73 Camaro or a 68 to 72 Nova. The pricing seemed a little nuts. By accident I saw a few Corvettes of the mid 70s going much cheaper. I bought a '75 Stingray for less than half of what a builder Camaro or Nova would cost. Don't get me wrong, it's rough. It isn't any worse than any of the other cars I was looking at.

The Corvette is going to be a toy. It isn't going to be a restoration. It isn't going to be a race car but putting it on a diet can't hurt either. I don't know how much weight is saved by swapping from a cast iron to aluminum water pump.

I wouldn't think there is a cooling benefit to either of them. I do need the 3/4 pilot shaft for my fan. I have been looking at pricing of some of the house brands at the major aftermarket catalog stores. I don't know if those are any good though. I expect they are chinese made.

Any thoughts or recommendations??

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Beck

Quote from: "enjenjo"If you go here  http://www.laneautomotive.com/site/?ct=121#goto6114  They have Stewart water pumps at good prices.
I checked out the Stewart web site. I don't know if I need it but the Stage 2 (aluminum) says it has improvements over the Stage 1. Then I did a Google search and found Amazon has the Stage 2 for $153 with free shipping. Lane Automotove has the Stage 1 (iron) for $91 plus shipping. They don't show a Stage 2 on their web site. My price at O'reillys is $25 for a rebuilt. Again the big question is what's the best buy. Do I want to run with the big dogs or stay on the pourch? If I decide to run with the big dogs will they know or care what water pump I'm using? In the end as long as it keeps pumping with good flow it shouldn't matter. What's good enough and what's overkill?

1800guy

I've always thought a cheap water pump was a bad place to save money.  Think about what that fan blade can do to a radiator if the press-fit flange comes off the shaft.  Also, for me at least, overheating due to a poor quality water pump can be hard to diagnose.  Just my .02
My project is 90% finished, with only 90% to go.

chimp koose

I believe the vette water pump is a different length than the other small blocks. I had to make a spacer to align the pulleys on a coworkers 80 vette. Aftermarket aluminum pump. Easy fix.[list=][/list]

enjenjo

Beck

Quote from: "enjenjo"Would this be the one you want?

Thats the one I was looking at. I sure didn't see that page when I looked at their site. Thanks

enjenjo

Beck