3x2 for 283 chevy

Started by spark, January 08, 2011, 09:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spark

Looking for info or recommendations for 3x2 sbc.

I have been researching a triple carb setup to go on a 283 sbc with power glide.

I like the look of the Stromberg 97. and have been looking at ebay (US) to get a sense of availability and cost. I also see the new Stromberg s but a little pricey for me (x3).

New Edelbrock 3bolt intakes are sold new about 300US$

The same applies for Holley 94, also have new ones (Edelbrock?)  

Rochester 3G – outside carbs need to be modified? Something to do with base??  
New Edelbrock 4 bolts are around.

My problem is I live in Australia and these carbs are hard to find. Often people refuse to ship out side of the USA or ask for an unreasonable amount to ship. One wanted $61 US (for shipping on one carb) another quoted $17 and others flatly refused.  

I would like to do this bit buy bit, I can get a Edelbrock 4 bolt intake for $550 already in Australia.  

Does any body on the board supply rebuilt Rochester's modified for 3x2 set up?

Would any body be willing to be a go between – help me source matching carbs and ship them to me?

Can any one recommend someone that can supply rebuilt carbs and willing to ship?

Sorry for the long winded post, any suggestions or info is welcome.
8) ANY info or comments are most welcome.  8)

www.hotrodforum.freeforums.org .

enjenjo

Rochester carbs are much better than either 97s or 94s. Also usually cheaper. The Rochester carbs should be fairly east to find. All two barrel Chevy v8s used them from 1955 to 1967, and on the 307 until 71 They were also used by Buick, Pontiac, and Olds.  Speedway has a tripower conversion kit for Rockesters here:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/ProductSummary.aspx?free_text|1/8/2011%209:53:33%20PM=Rochester+2G+Tri-Power+Base&deptId=0

You could also substitute Carter or Zenith two barrel carbs if they are available. I have done one using Carter carbs.

If you find what you want in the states, ship them to me, I'll consolidate them and ship to you. Shipping will be about $60 for 20 lbs, which would be three carbs. PM me if you want more info.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

spark

Thank you for your offer of help with shipping. I notice your posts on ozrodders from time to time, I post as spark. Old32 (Roy) suggested I ask on RRT as he was given help with his set up.

I have the carb that came with the 283 but can't see any part number, just 2 JET ROCHSTER and GM cast on the top. I will probably rebuild it and use it as the center carb.  I will do some more research on the Rochester 2G 2bbl.
Again thanks for you help.
8) ANY info or comments are most welcome.  8)

www.hotrodforum.freeforums.org .

Jokester

This guy  http://www.gasalleystreetrods.com/index.html  has a bunch of stromberg stuff.  Not sure about Rochesters.  You might contact him and see if he ships to OZ.

My 2 cents.

.bjb
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.