Newer Cadillac problem

Started by phat rat, December 10, 2010, 11:19:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat rat

My wife has a 98 Eldo which has started giving a problem with the anti theft system. This causes the car too not start. You need to wait 3 minutes and try again. This morning it took two tries, 6 min. I was told that sometimes leaving the key on for 15 mins or cleaning the key fixes it. Neither did nor does a different key. Have an appointment to take it to a Caddy dealer 50 mi away next week but was wondering if anyone here knew of a way to either fix it or bypass the system.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

wayne petty

see this orange wire... from the back of the lock cylinder

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/additional-prod-images/en/US/gen/LC62060/2/image/4/

Locksmart/Ignition Lock (Cylinder & Keys)
For your 1998 Cadillac Eldorado 4.6L SFI DOHC 8cyl
Part Number:   LC62060
Notes:   Cylinder comes with key for cutting template only, will not start car. Correct resistance key required.
Contents:    One lock, with 2 keys. Harness
Finish:    Black

the wires on these fail... the internal contacts fail...

2 ways to fix it... put a new lock cylinder in...  

or bypass it...

to save a HUGE amount of time.. buy the new lock cylinder...  take it to your lock smith or key cutter.. be sure to take your original ignition key...

have them measure the resistance value of the chip in the key and select a proper matching key blank....

have them cut the NEW keys pattern on this Vats blank...  be sure to ask what number the key blank is... 1 thorough 15...

this way.. when you install the new lock cylinder...  you can stick the new key in and it will start on the first try...

warning.. this only works with the keys with the resistor pellet in the shank.... that look like this

to bypass the system takes about 20 or 30 minutes after a trip to the local radio shack.. or electronics parts store....  you will need an OHM meter for this...

this is what you will need...  if the resistance is over 1,000 ohms.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062308#

if the resistance is under 1000 ohms.. you can get by with one of these...

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062307

i normally get one of these also... there are 3 different sizes in the store..  i get the smallest..

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103986

you will also need a tiny screwdriver to tighten the screws...  i have had to resort to using a trimmer pot adjuster... comes in handy for the trimmer pot adjustment also.. but a tiny screw driver will also work..

you want to use the first and second lead or the second and third lead of the trimmer pot to hook to the 2 or 3 sections of the terminal block you can cut away from the larger one...

you will also want to adjust the trimmer pot before getting under the dash.. after you install the terminal block section...

then get under the dash .. after adjusting the trimmer pot to read the EXACT value of the key... as measured with your digital ohm meter..

find the tiny orange harness...  look at the picture above...  cut it so you can strip the white wires inside and insert them into the european style terminal block... this gives the computer the proper value and lets you start the car.. it does defeat the antitheft system..  but crooks seem to know how to bypass it anyway...

warning.. DO NOT MESS WITH THE YELLOW HARNESSES UNDER THE DASH>.   they are the AIR BAGS>  they can blow up in your face if you mess with them... you can safely disconnect the yellow wire if you have to...    

if you are going to install a new lock cylinder..  you will have to disconnect this yellow wire before starting so the air bag is disarmed..

these steering wheels might also.. and probably will require special steering wheel puller remover legs...   there are no threaded opening in some later gm wheels..

last xmas... there was on CL.. a cry for someone to get her car started.. it would only run for a second and shut off...   i did the bypass in 20 minutes and wished her a merry christmas...  she was so happy..

hope this helps...

if you key has a tiny PK .. PK1   PK2 stamped in the side.... or does not look like the keys in the picture above...   there are other ways to work on the advanced pass key systems...

wayne petty

oh... and  you also have the choice.. to try something easy...

spray the insides of the lock with some WD-40... and work it..

moving the key in and out.. then rotating the lock with another blast..

this will sometimes remove the oxidation from the contacts...

if it rains a LOT where you live.. this might help.. wet keys into the lock create corrosion..  changes the resistance and sets off the antitheft..

the security light will be flashing when the ignition is locked out..

there is also a 4 minute timer...   you have to wait with the key off and out for 4 minutes ... this prevents the thief from just trying  bunch of keys...

i have also ... just plugged in a new lock cylinder under the dash.. with a proper Vats key blank in it..   tie wrapped up and out of the way..

the installed lock cylinder then works as usual...  but the bypass from radio shack is faster and far cheeper.. if you have a radio shack nearby...

phat rat

Thanks Wayne. I was sure someone here would have an answer.

unklian

wayne petty

some additional reading... on the newer... non pellet RF locks on various cars and trucks...

this stuff is a LOT harder to defeat... but still the bandits get them running...

http://www.motor.com/article.asp?article_ID=1021

this has a secondary PDF article down near the bottom from ford...

http://www.motor.com/article.asp?article_ID=969

i know there are several more on that site.. i just have not looked for them...

both of those have a PDF link to download a copy to your computer for archived reading...

phat rat

One of the little wires to the switch was broke. So a new switch was put in

junkyardjeff

If you can find someone who knows how to install aftermarket alarms they should be able to bypass it with a resistor.

wayne petty

jeff... i did post instructions for something better than a solid resistor...

on the post with the pictures of the keys....

the links to radio shack.. is a variable resistor.. so you don't have to hunt down colors and values to make something exact....

and the best part.....   every radio shack in the country should have these in stock.... for under 10 bucks...

junkyardjeff

I am glad I dont own a car with a factory anti theft system as its something else to go wrong,I am looking for a TSM module for my Harley so I can get rid of its security system as I am tired of messing with the batteries for th key fobs.  I like things simple and have insurance to cover thefts.