Coil-over Spring Rates

Started by mrloboy, November 28, 2010, 07:00:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrloboy

I am working on a '28 A Roadster Pickup with a 283, saginaw 4 spd and an S10 rear diff. Out front is a 4" dropped beam on a 4-link and out back I am also using a 4-link system. I need to order the coil-overs for the rear suspension but am unsure of what spring rate I should start with. Are there any sites that have a chart to aid this procedure. Thanks, Rick

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "mrloboy"I am working on a '28 A Roadster Pickup with a 283, saginaw 4 spd and an S10 rear diff. Out front is a 4" dropped beam on a 4-link and out back I am also using a 4-link system. I need to order the coil-overs for the rear suspension but am unsure of what spring rate I should start with. Are there any sites that have a chart to aid this procedure. Thanks, Rick

I think I would make some phone calls to a couple of the companies that sell coil over shocks and see what their tech person has to say.  If you can tell them more about the weight of your car it would probably help.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Mikej

Speedway has a chart in there catolog I believe.

mrloboy

Thanks guys. I will check out speedway. I am building the chassis for a friend and have no idea what the final weight will be. I hope to guess close. If we need to replace the springs after the car is on the road we will cross that bridge at that time. Rick

bucketmouth

There was a spring rate converter on here some where, I searched for it and found this if it helps any

http://www.proshocks.com/srshocks/adjco.html
I maybe from down under but I know which way is up.
Oh hell there goes another head rush.

rumrumm

If I remember correctly, I used Aldan American Eagle shocks with 180 lbs. springs on my '29 roadster. You don't want anything heavier than that. My roadster weighed 2200 lbs. without me in it. I would still call the company and see what they recommend. My '32 coupe has 220 lbs springs as it is a heavier car.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com