Not fimular with this screw! What is it?

Started by rooster, November 18, 2010, 05:52:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooster

Doing some more work on the Olds I ran across what I thought was a phillips screw, it was in a bad place to get to  so I used one of those short angled screw drivers. These small screws are in there tight and I began to * the head so I stopped and removed the t-body so I could get a better bite but I had to use a straight screwdriver to get them. I don't want to put these back in for sure. I was afraid I was going to brake one off!

But what are they? What tool should I have on hand? Its not torx or allen!

wayne petty

T-15 torx...

holding the idle air control motor in..

rooster

Quote from: "wayne petty"T-15 torx...

holding the idle air control motor in..

:shock:  TORX

These don't look like torx, I just tryed to fit one up! NO GO!!! But they are molested!!!

The heads are in the shape of: +  ,  but 1 of the : - . is longer!

With my luck I have Chinese torx!

unklian

There are lots of goofy "Tamper Proof" screw head designs out there.

wayne petty

well i am wrong sometimes.. but your photos are blurry...

everybody makes mistakes...

rooster

Its combo then! Yes! my pictures are misleading.

I sure woulden't want to buy all those different drivers!

I have torx, torx security, torx female, seem to have a clutch head for something on the 49 chevy cant remember.

Best bet is to go to Lowes and match something up.

wayne petty

more than likely metric...

be sure to test fit the existing screws in the threaded test plate...

or measure the thread pitch with your tiny metric taps or thread pitch gauges that come with some tap sets...

fine pitch metric
http://www.newmantools.com/tech/threadmf.htm

course pitch metric

http://www.newmantools.com/tech/threadm.htm

jaybee

Wouldn't be surprised if you needed a clutch head driver to work on an old Chevy.  They went through a period where they used a lot of them.  Must've been on sale.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

rooster

Quote from: "jaybee"Wouldn't be surprised if you needed a clutch head driver to work on an old Chevy.  They went through a period where they used a lot of them.  Must've been on sale.

Its funny how some things come back to you when you can't think of them!

While try to get some sleep last night , it came to me, it was clutch head screws around the colar that holds the fuel pickup and sender in the gas tank!

Went to Lowes today and got some straight slot screws with the m-4 threds, two for 56 cents. Looked at the Allen head ones, 80 cents each :shock: ,NAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!