Hood Question, Hinges 58 Chevy

Started by msuguydon, October 29, 2010, 07:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msuguydon

Hi all,

Long time no chat.

Question about hoods and hinges.

The tuna boat has always had a bad hood, weak, bent etc..

I finally found and bought a replacement, got it painted and installed.

My body guy buddy and I installed the hood, using the existing hinges.  We adjusted etc.. but the rear of the hood, close to the windshield still does not sit flush when the hood is closed.  The rear of the hood sticks up.  Worse on one side then the other.  

We can't make it any better.  A couple people have looked at it and suggested new hinges.

I hate to just swap out parts "hoping" it will fix problems.  

What do you all think? Any suggestions, thoughts.

Second question, I have found no luck, so far, finding another set of hinges.  I did find a set of hinges from a 58 Buick.  Any thoughts on whether they are the same hinges as the 58 Chevy Biscayne?

Thanks All
Would plastic be okay for you today?

Proud Member of Team Smart

kb426

Every project I have redone has needed new hinges. That said, I don't know about the Buick hinges being the same. Good to hear from you.
TEAM SMART

Charlie Chops 1940

Did you guys make sure the hinges have full and easy travel - clean, straight, oiled, etc. - and that they will actual drop down enough to align the hood horizontally. Those springs don't tend to wear out unless the hood is up forever.

The buicks may be the same or close but remember that in '58 the Divisions were still doing their own thing in regards to engineering components.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

msuguydon

phat rat

By the looks of those pics it didn't fit right before. Would seem to be an adjustment problem
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

zzebby

I have fooled around a lot with hood hinges on various cars and trucks and it is really tough or impossible to find good used ones. On my Chevelles I must have checked out 20 different used ones and they were all worn to varying degrees.  Seems that no one ever oils them and so they wear and then bind and then the hood bends, which is what your old one looked like.  I can't pass judgement on the repros but from what I could see and hear was that they were not right...and I doubt that 58 chevy hood hinges are available as repros.
I did learn a lot about adjusting them and the springs.  The springs are stretched when the hood is down and so they lose their force with age. Rather dangerous to remove and re install so be careful...only ten fingers.  Anyway,  remove the springs, clean and oil them (not WD40, real motor oil)  and then put them back and the hood on.  Then adjust and adjust and adjust.  You may not get them perfect,  but I've made a silk hood fit well when starting with a cow's ear......or something like that.  The hood adjustment seems to be the reverse direction of what you would think.  Try up and down on the bolts to the car and in and out on the bolts to the hood. Use oil on the bolts and big dia washers,  don't over tighten, just snug till you get it right.  You may surprise yourself.

Rrumbler

My '59 pickup was cured by a new set of hinges, AND new springs.  The old springs were weak, and as a result the hinges had gotten tweaked in use and trying to get the hood to shut correctly.  The hinges on my truck look very similar to those in your picture.  Replacing the springs is not very tough; just prop the hood open as far as you can lift it without stressing the hinges , and grab the upper hook of the hinge with a pair of channellocks and * straight in line with the spring, then move it off of the notch in the hinge arm, and unhook the bottom. Installing the new ones is just the reverse.  The spring sre not under much tension at the open position, and they won't go flying if you let them get away from the pliers.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

BFS57

Hello;
I'm sorry, you will have to start over again! Remove the hood, remove the hinges, look to see where the ware is. use a BFH to "tighten the hinges. I have seen pieces/parts to "rebuild' hinges. I can't say anything about the repo hinges but I do know they are made for tri-5 which 55-56 are different from 57 I'm not sure for 58.
Good luck, I know that fitting a hood cab be a bastard!

Bruce

BFS57

Hello;
Almost forgot. To remove the springs (if you have to) it is easiest to: open the hood, take several large thick washers and insert them into the springs. Then close the hood (carefully) the springs will fall out! To put them back, tie some string on the washers as a group, open the hood, insert the springs, close the hood, the washers will fall out!!

Bruce

jaybee

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

chimp koose

That hood spring trick ....CHOICE! great idea,I always cringe at the thought of removing the springs. Never had a good way of doing it without step 2,wipe up blood with shop rag. Thanks!

BFS57

Hello;
Works really great!!!
Oh! another hint! DON"T OIL OR LUBE THE DARN THINGS!!!

Bruce

enjenjo

I have a pair of hood spring tools, Kent Moore J 8923-1 that I got when I went to tech school in 1965. They have been used many times.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

msuguydon

New (repro) springs are available.   The washer trick is outstanding.  Thanks for the ideas guys.

enjenjo

Quote from: "msuguydon"New (repro) springs are available.   The washer trick is outstanding.  Thanks for the ideas guys.

When that doesn't work( new springs ), let me know, and I'll tell you how to fix it. Here is a clue, why is the old hood up in the back?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.