Hood Question, Hinges 58 Chevy

Started by msuguydon, October 29, 2010, 07:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BFS57

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "msuguydon"New (repro) springs are available.   The washer trick is outstanding.  Thanks for the ideas guys.

When that doesn't work( new springs ), let me know, and I'll tell you how to fix it. Here is a clue, why is the old hood up in the back?

OK, I'll bite! oh great one, please tell us why.

Bruce

enjenjo

Quote from: "BFS57"
Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "msuguydon"New (repro) springs are available.   The washer trick is outstanding.  Thanks for the ideas guys.

When that doesn't work( new springs ), let me know, and I'll tell you how to fix it. Here is a clue, why is the old hood up in the back?

OK, I'll bite! oh great one, please tell us why.

Bruce

Because it's bent. So is the new one.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

UGLY OLDS

Hook....Line  &  sinker ......... :roll:

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

enjenjo

I've fought these for hours. Learned the cure by accident. Over the years, the springs are constantly pushing up on the hood. Plus as they get older, and not as well maintained, the hinges bind up. Opening the hood is not a problem, as the springs are forcing the hinges up. But closing it is a different story. You are not only pushing against the springs, but against the binding hinges. After a few years of this, the inner structure of the hood distorts, as if the hood was still partly open, lifting the back of the hood slightly. To check for this, lay a straight edge on the surface of the hood, with the end a couple ft beyond the back of the hood. Lay another straight edge on the ninge mounting points, also sticking beyond the back of the hood. The two straight edges should be parallel. I'm betting they are not.

The only cure I know for it, is to open the hood, and force it further open, beyond the limits of the hinges, and bend the structure back where it belongs. This is much less nerve wracking if you do it before finish paint, but I have done it after too.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

53stvblt

I can't tell from looking at your picture but I had the same problem on my 53 chevy.  My buddy had reinstalled the springs on it & I noticed that the hood didn't fit at the rear & was sticking up just like yours.
 After looking it over I compared the spring position with his 52 chevy & discovered he had installed the springs 180 deg different than his 52. This could happen by installing the right spring to the left side & vice versa also.
 I removed the left spring & spun it 180 & reinstalled it then did the same with the right spring.  Wallaaa. Problem solved as it fit like brand new!
 I made a spring tool from 1/2" rebar by measuring spring length with the hood up then cutting the rebar about 1 1/2" longer.  Then I tapered each end & cut a notch to fit the spring diameter in the center of each taper. Then you just open the hood up & insert the rebar thru the center of the spring making sure the lower notch is centered on the bottom hook of the spring. Lower the hood just enough to center the upper notch in the upper spring hook.  Raise the hood and the rebar is captured by the spring keeping it extended so you can remove the spring safely.  
 Don't know if this is your problem, just sharing my solution.
Good luck,  Bud